Bbrv-watch IV

Saku-foorumi » Uusi sukupolvi: MorphOS » Yleinen keskustelu » Viestit 2003 » Viestit 12/2003 asti » Bbrv-watch IV « Edellinen Seuraava »

Kirjoittaja Viesti

Anu Seilonen
Keskiviikkona, 19. maaliskuuta, 2003 - klo 16.21:   
Keskustelua siirretty edellisen ketjun täyttymisen vuoksi. -Thoriel

Janne
Keskiviikkona, 19. maaliskuuta, 2003 - klo 13.43:   
Hi AmiDelf et al...

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark!"

That is a quote from Hamlet. Hamlet was lamenting over the wretched state of Denmark (and then incidentally compares the two kings, his father and his uncle Claudius as "Hyperion to a Satyr." I probably would not have used Hyperion as an example of the goodness of one. For me, the only thing rotten in Denmark is Tezzor as evidenced by his hypocritical and personal attacks which the letter above was written in response to (but, that is another story and was not the subject of this thread)...

Later, Hamlet says...

Fie on't! ah fie! 'tis an unweeded garden, that grows to seed; things rank and gross in nature possess it merely. That it should come to this!

This of course can be compared to the "community" in the months and years before. This place was a mess.

Raquel and I are great advocates of what we call gardening. If you plant a garden and you ignore it, it's taken over by weeds. But if you keep at it, month after month, then it grows as it should and you can be proud of your work. We like the way the garden is shaping up! Things are looking good. It was not so easy in the beginning when we came back to the Community. Alot of weeding had to be done and it was dirty work... We have absolutely no interest in "weeds." Let them "grow" in another garden.

Spring is here...so to speak! We are trying to do our best to be good gardeners!

So, that is my answer about "unorthodox communication." You see, I do not have Hamlet's problem!

Bill

http://amiga.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1910

Janne
Torstaina, 20. maaliskuuta, 2003 - klo 9.19:   
Muistatteko kun Buck sanoi pari viikkoa sitten että tyyliin "we have been overwhelmed this week by events that have nothing to do with Genesi"... Syy lienee nyt selvä:

Posted by bbrv (Trusted user) on 19-Mar-2003 13:55:49
In Reply to Comment 1:
Actually, it is simple story...

1. We fired the former President of Pretory. He is under criminal investigation. The sketchy and one-sided details are clearly an attempt to discredit us. We are managing the Company now.

2. Thendic-France is STILL part of Pretory. This does not effect Genesi. Pretory and Genesi have absolutely nothing to do with each other corporately with the exception of common shareholders: Raquel and I.

3. For the French, please consider the source of the article. The writer understood quite well we could not comment while the matter was being prosecuted.

Life goes on...Genesi and Pretory too.

Sincerely,

Raquel and Bill

Posted by bbrv (Trusted user) on 19-Mar-2003 16:18:21
In Reply to Comment 15:

Hi rez, if you are French you know what you have just written is complete "merde." Raquel and I are in Paris right now in the Pretory office. We are fully transparent to the French Government and our all our customers. We have their full endorsement and support. I am the President Director General of Pretory S.A. as of 5 March. Raquel and I have have been Directors and shareholders of the French Company and the US holding Company since Pretory was formed as a S.A. in 1997.

Get you facts straight!

Sincerely,

Bill Buck

Joanna
Torstaina, 20. maaliskuuta, 2003 - klo 13.26:   
Hmm.. En ole tuota kommentoinut mitenkään kun en asiasta mitään tiedä, eikä muutenkaan ole alaa, mutta näemmä kaikkea tapahtuu.

BBRV: " It will become the subject of many newspaper articles in France. "

Eli ilmeisesti asiasta tulee ihan enemmänkin tietoa kunhan aika on ok.

Janne
Torstaina, 20. maaliskuuta, 2003 - klo 14.22:   
Posted by bbrv (Trusted user) on 20-Mar-2003 10:18:02
In Reply to Comment 58:

Corsica, you work for the French Ministère de l'emploi just outside of Paris. If we had the time we could meet you at the Pretory office. You are not far away -- maybe next week. OK?

Anyway, can we carryon this conversation privately? You are full of misinformation. Our email address is bbrv@genesi.lu.

Thank you.

@Raffaele et al....the full details will be public soon enough. We not be online for the rest of the day. Busy times!

Bill Buck

Janne
Perjantaina, 21. maaliskuuta, 2003 - klo 9.08:   
BBRV:stä on tosiaan tullut melkoisia Amiga-yhteisön poliitikkoja... kaikki moska kaivetaan esiin. :-)

Posted by bbrv (Trusted user) on 20-Mar-2003 16:12:59
In Reply to Comment 90:

Hi Frodon and Christophe, thanks for trying to bring this to a temporary conclusion.

Hi Corsica, we were trying to offer you an opportunity to discover fully what the whole affair was about because it does seem you are intent on knowing. Remember, you did call me a liar when I told you what I could. The opportunity is still open to you and anyone else. We are completely tranparent for this kind of thing.

BTW, there will be another article in a different French newspaper tomorrow. It will indicate that there may be another side of the story...step by step all the details will come out. You will see who the "good guys" are in the end...;-)

Anyway, there are a few more important things going on in the world now...

Sincerely,

Bill

Joanna
Tiistaina, 25. maaliskuuta, 2003 - klo 9.57:   
Ollut hiljaisempaa mutta sentään jotain tietoa jossain..

2003/3/24 16:29 bbrv
" Ship Date for PEG = THIS WEEK!

Hi, 175 April2 Pegasos boards will be in Paris Wednesday. The remainder will arrive next week. The first boards will be shipped this week!

Best regards,
R&B "

Kysymys: Miksi ne pitää lähettää Pariisiin??? No, ilmeisesti kenelläkään ei ole kiirettä...

[Edit: Linkki. -Thoriel]

Jari
Torstaina, 27. maaliskuuta, 2003 - klo 14.51:   
Mulle tuli Vesalialta posti että jos kiinnostaa niin olisi tänään varmistettava Pegasoksen tilaus..

Mut kun sieltä ei oo kuulunu kolmen kuukauden aikana minkäänlaista kommenttia tilanteesta niin lannistuin ja ajattelin että oon niin kaukana tilausjonossa että en sitä tässä hässäkässä saakkaan.

Kulutin pegasos budjetista leijonan osan pari viikkoo sitten pleikka2:n ja videoihin.

Ei siis Peg1:ä mulle, kai sille joku omistaja löytyy.

Janne
Maanantaina, 7. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 19.48:   
greenboy:

I got notification that my Pegasos was on its way - can't wait to get it fired up for digital audio and midi work/play starting with the MorphOS version of ProStation Platinum! Among other things : } ...Most of the people getting them through the Phoenix $299 offer/initiative have already received theirs, or should have gotten notification. More Pegasos $299 packages with all the goodies will be available to current Phoenix members, incidentally.

Also, BBRV and I have been talking about Yet Another T-shirt Initiative {YATI; }:

For all User Group members and leaders who are currently doing MorphOS/Pegasos stuff or would like to be, and want to get support and offers from Genesi and Phoenix. We have a mailing list called PhUG and will be happy to provide web space for your groups, and we want to build support programs with your help and set up some more special offers for all of you ...

But didn't I say T-SHIRT? Yes! We want to ship all you UG people T-shirts - with Genesi graphics on one side and whatever graphics/logo your User Group chooses on the other side.

No coupons required; just email me...

KimmoK
Tiistaina, 8. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 15.28:   
aaa aa apuvvah, onpa melkoista markkinointia.

Ja kaikki siis AmigaInc:n toilailun kustannuksella.

T-Paidatta jää kohta vain diehard amigistit ja kesäkin on kohta jo käsillä...

Ibe U
Tiistaina, 8. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 15.45:   
Enpä ilman ei maksua pistäsi päälleni mitään mainos paitaa.

Janne
Tiistaina, 8. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 17.05:   
Subject : Re: 20 more Pegasos I boards now available to Phoenix member
Posted : 2003/4/8 9:12

Rose, please mind your own business. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. As before, you suggest bad things, but never have the ability or the facts to back up your suggestions. Further, last time we checked Amont Informatique was not distributing the Pegasos. We have avoided threads about your hardware, please avoid ours.

Thanks,
Raquel and Bill

P.S. Yes amigamad, 20 (more)...that puts over 600 Pegasos machines out there. With the Marvell northbridge there will be MANY more. Further, the first 5000 STBs will be delivered this year.

Janne
Tiistaina, 8. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 17.06:   
Siinä taitaa sitten olla virallinen luku. Pegasos I:tä on maailmalla 600+.

Janne
Tiistaina, 8. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 17.09:   
Genesi Sarl will offer up to 20 more Pegasos I machines with the April2 patch to Phoenix members for $299 through the Pegasos-USA website.

This offer includes:

-- the Pegasos mainboard and G3 600MHZ CPU module
-- an ATX backplate
-- MorphOS 1.3 CD
-- MorphOS Games: Birdie Shoot, Feeble Files, Tales of Tamar, Software Tycoon
-- ProStationAudio Titanium
-- DebianPPC for Pegasos with Mac-on-Linux
-- a MorphOS "We have a Present for You" t-shirt
-- two stickers for your case
-- A4 connector guide

Other Extras and updates will be distributed through the new Pegasos User FTP. You will also to be subscribed to the very useful, supportive, and positive Pegasos User Mailing List.

These are ALL new boards. Recycled Betatester boards are being used internally in Genesi ONLY. If you are unable to use the Pegasos-USA website, please contact Thierry at tvelasco@genesi.lu to coordinate a direct wire transfer to Genesi.

Sincerely,

Raquel Velasco and Bill Buck
Genesi

TSK
Tiistaina, 8. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 20.04:   
Toi oli paha: "no coupons required". Heh heh ...

Janne
Keskiviikkona, 9. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 0.29:   
@takemehomegrandma and everyone else...;-)

We will have 600+ Pegasos I machines out there when this current production is fully distributed and all the exchanges have been made. In the meanwhile, MorphOS continues to be increasing useful. It is stable now and it is hardly in "beta," as someone suggested. What we are doing with this offer is continuing to entice intelligent computer-literate people to use the machine and help us to make it better. That is the simple reason for the offer we have made. Plus, we are tuning the infrastructure to support REAL sales to a broad market through the Internet. We need REAL people to use the system to do that. This applies to MorphOS too.

Our focus for MorphOS today is to add functionality and improve the spectrum of applications that work well with the OS and the Pegasos platform. All this effort accumulates and sums to the introduction of the Pegasos II and the Pegasos STB. The Pegasos II will be a very functional, alternative PPC platform that will continue to be attractively priced. We believe it will draw widespread interest. It will work with more than MorphOS. So, even if the Pegasos was purchased to run a version of Linux, BeOS, BSD or whatever, it will also come with MorphOS and MorphOS WILL be driven into the market. Further, the STB will be a scaled down version of the Pegasos that will be well tuned to leverage small footprint of MorphOS.

The development platform for the Pegasos II and the Pegasos STB is the Pegasos I. For us this is a good basic plan and one that is being implemented today...now! Those that want to be involved can be, those that do not want to be involved do not have to be. Neither side needs to throw mud. We can coexist here and in other places. From the MorphOS and the Pegasos side we have called a truce to this fighting a couple of months ago. We are focused on the future. Please join us if you find the $299 a good offer...:-D

Best regards,
Raquel and Bill
Genesi

Janne
Keskiviikkona, 9. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 1.11:   
bbrv
Caterpillar

Paris, France

Re: Where is PSA Titanium w/PEGASOS + MOS?
Hi Guys!

Your PSA, Debian, Mac-on-Linux, Game updates, etc., etc. will be available via a special FTP. Details will be sent to you today.

Thanks and best regards,

Raquel and Bill

Janne
Keskiviikkona, 9. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 1.20:   
Hi Stefkos, we have something special planned for ALL Pegasos owners. We will not be announcing this for another month or two. It will be a bundle of software for all Pegasos I owners. In the meanwhile, we need to test our infrastructure and this is the best way to do this. What we offer ALL Pegasos I owners -- as a final package -- will be even better...;-)

Remember, this is for Phoenix too!!!

Sincerely,
Raquel and Bill

Joanna
Keskiviikkona, 9. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 10.38:   
Hmm... kohta minä ainakin tipun laskuista mitä kaikkea he ovat luvanneet antaa laitteen mukaan :)

Janne
Keskiviikkona, 9. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 11.48:   
Buck näyttää rauhoittuneen... Ja yhtäkkiä Rose näyttää narisevalta kakaralta vertailussa. :)

For Rose and others from a post a couple of months ago here on amiga.org...

...Within a true "Community" of people of course there are differences. There *can* be different hardware, there can be different operating systems, and there should be different opinions about many things. Let us not forget we are human, computers are not. If we can share our differences intelligently with mutual respect for the dignity of others all these sites will improve in their usefulness.

We think there is far to much unnecessary "flaming" on all the sites. We have been a part of it. We reacted in kind. We have never been intimidated by any of it and we simply will not allow FUD to remain unanswered. What will stand in truth and fact in the future will be the action and the results developed by all involved. If your looking for "measure" we are ready for judgment. We can talk about it and genuinely seek to be the best we can at all we do. If your looking for a fight and you are bent on insults and personal attacks, take it somewhere else.

The "thread wars" are over. We need to work. Our future is on the road ahead. We can see where we are going and know how to get there.

Lastly Rose, have you noticed there is a Rebol mailing list on Phoenix and that we have an initiative with Rebol. Ask yourself why? Also, Jolyon Ralph formerly of Almathera is on the Executive Committee of the Phoenix GameTeam working on the Phoenix Pegasos STB initiative. Here is a statement from Jolyon that appeared on the mailing list in February:

"Oh, and a quick word about the rumours about Almathera/Viscorp - a lot of things were said about the demise of Almathera and VisCorp's part in it, some attributed to me, which were simply not true. If they were true I wouldn't be so happy to be working with Bill again, and I'm certainly happy to!"

OK, back to work.

Sincerely,

Raquel and Bill
Genesi

Joanna
Perjantaina, 18. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 23.25:   
Amiga.org

BBRV kirjoittaa:

"The G4 upgrade will be available on 1 July via www.pegasosppc.com. We will be integrating www.pegasos-usa.com into this site. We will also be offering an incredible software bundle, because we want to have the happiest computer users in the world before the Pegasos II arrives..."

Eli seuraavaksi kysytään mitä ihmettä he on nyt vielä keksineet uutta mukaan annettavaa?

G4 päivitys Heinäkuussa? Hmm?

Joanna
Maanantaina, 21. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 10.25:   
Lisätietoa BBRV:ltä siitä bundlesta jota he ovat suunnitelleet. Eli, mitä tuosta tuleekin niin se on jotain hemmetin isoa.

Morphzone-artikkeli

Hooligan/DCS
Maanantaina, 21. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 12.53:   
En laittaisi senttiäkään likoon että saataisiin kasaan edes puolet kyseisistä kategorioista.
Se että ne ovat edes Aminetissä PD:nä tarkoittaa että jokaisen ohjelman tekijältä pitäisi kysyä lupa sen liittämiseen kaupalliseen pakettiin, joka tulee olemaan jo mahdoton tehtävä. Korjatkaa jos olen väärässä.

Ja mitä tulee yritykseen kasata moinen paketti kaupallisista softista, se taas tulee erittäin kalliiksi.

Katsellaan.. saattaahan olla että Genesillä on pian avoinna paikkoja ohjelmoijille ;-)

Joanna
Maanantaina, 21. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 14.36:   
Juuh.. Kuten mainitskinkin Ann.lu:ssa niin tuo näyttää enempi niinkuin ostoslistalta. Eli jos jotain sopivaa löytyy sopivaan hintaan niin sitten voidaan vaikka harkita. Mutta tuskinpahan kaikkea tähän hätään mistään ilmestyy.

Janne
Keskiviikkona, 23. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 14.47:   
Posted by bbrv (Trusted user) on 23-Apr-2003 04:59:53
In Reply to Comment 46:

Just posted on amiga.org...(more cross-posting!)

Subject : Re: Building Pegasos Superbundle!
Posted : 2003/4/23 7:05

Hi Paul, yes we are moving along because we have the support of many other people. Our move to associate with Phoenix has been a good stroke. Greenboy, Clash and Gary have been very active and tireless in their effort. We appreciate everything they do and are doing. It is true the Phoenix mailing lists are very busy and we are getting plenty of people involved and lots innovative thinking (especially with guys like Ants around!!!).

From the broader community, we are also grateful to people like Wayne, Targhan and David Scheibler (JL too!). The websites associated these good people along with ANN and amiga-news (thanks Christian and Petra) have greatly aided us in getting the word out and we are starting to see solid and broad development moving ahead. It IS "exciting." ;-) We even posted here yesterday (http://forum.amigarulez.org/ -- see MorphOS Forum and then you will figure out where to go.... ;-) )!

The disunity will pass soon enough. The only competition we have now is ignorance. When people understand what we are doing and begin to participate 99% of the time they begin to move ahead with the rest of us. We are hearing so many of the past rumors now it is laughable. If people still want a heaping helping of FUD about Genesi there is still plenty around, but we are finished with it. Forget it! :-) It is not about MorphOS vs. AmigaOS anymore or even the Pegasos vs. the AmigaOne. We do not have time for these silly arguments. We are too BUSY! ;-D We hope all Pegasos/MorphOS users will just avoid these discussions. They are a waste of time. If there was something true to all the aqusations something would have happened long ago or at least we would have seen some proof -- any proof!!!

We would rather be focused on development, porting applications, making new deals and getting products into the marketplace. We should just keep to our efforts and best of luck to them with theirs...

We have a core team now. We have enlisted the support of many and for the first time in years developers in this community are getting paid. The Pegasos I is about the future, not the past. We wasted alot of time with bad components, but we have a solution now and it looks VERY good. The April patch works flawlessly and the Marvell northbridge is a quantum leap farther ahead. The Pegasos II will/is attracting plenty of interest and we need to make sure there is a full suite of things to do with it!!! This software bundle is going to be an awesome collection of applications that will stake a mighty claim for the community in the broader IT market. The Pegasos I owners will benefit from these preparations. We are grateful to them for their support and involvement. We know how to say "THANKS!" and we will.

OK, now that greenboy got us all fired up this morning we have to go get ready for a busy day....;-)

Pass the blue pills please! YeeeHaw! :-D

Best regards,
Raquel and Bill

P.S. We will have free MorphOS T-Shirts to give away again this coming weekend in Calella de la Costa (40 km from Barcelona) at CatCon2K3 (http://www.iespana.es/catcon/) and in the Czech Republic at the Amiga Show. Contact Martin at kuchinka@volny.cz for details on the Czech Amiga Show and Carles at catconparty@yahoo.es for what's happening in Spain! 8-)

Janne
Torstaina, 24. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 15.38:   
Hi lempkee, Wilse, and others,

Just a few comments in respose...

1. We have seen the Voodoo3 running 3D on the Pegasos already. Mark Olsen is doing that work and he is close to a release. It is coming.

2. We know that getting anywhere in the future means getting to tomorrow. In other words, 300 is a number on the way to 1000. We know we can go no further on the hardware side for the moment so we are focused on trying to pull together applications in the meanwhile. This is really just a indication of more subtle organizational changes.

3. What are those changes? Here are a couple of examples: a) a new office for bplan in Frankfurt, b) a new QA team based in Paris with specific objectives and direction, c) a detailed CVS/source management program not only for MorphOS, but for all the other OS distros we seek to support on the platform, and d) a completely reorganized web presence with an order management center based in Luxembourg. PriceWaterhouseCoopers set up our corporate structure -- now we have to implement the plan.

4. Getting Phoenix integrated into the process while respecting its independence and creativity.

We could go on, but you get the idea. These plans and MUCH more are underway.

We had 162 emails when we came home last night after a LONG day. Granted some of those were junk, but many of those emails were writen by new Pegasos users seeking solutions for one challenge or another. As the daily scoll forward continues we see one answer and then another in response. Ultimately, we see a continuous dialogue that moves to a solution. People in Australia, Canada, or Italy getting answers from Pegasos owners in Norway, Germany or Spain ... That is the whole idea of a Community and it is taking shape -- step by step. This spirit and interaction needs to be in place and we need to have a corporate organization structure working too if we want to start adding digits successfully to our installed base. The process is in play and it is starting to produce very encouraging results.

As Daniel Miller has often suggested in his encouragement of our efforts to get hardware and software out EVEN if it is not perfect and into the hands of users: innovation and creativity factor will spark NEW developments. We see it. It is working -- again day by day, one user at a time.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement mips, gary_c, Wayne, Paul, -D-, Wilse, KennyR, and lempkee. We are off for another busy day...

...and a BIG thanks to greenboy and Phoenix!

Raquel and Bill

amiga.org

Janne
Keskiviikkona, 30. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 15.10:   
The Pegasos I used the Articia S #A660BNGP. This part has been discontinued by Mai. We purchased the last 408 units. We also purchased a number of Articia S #A660BNGE for testing. This is the "new" Articia S.

We created two patches for the BNGP - April1 and April2. We worked with Mai at their offices in Fremont in the Fall of 2002 to develop the first patch, April1. We released the first Pegasos with April1 in December. Prior to that using the same Articia without the patch we released "Betatester" machines beginning in June 2002 to our internal developers and later to a few brave souls who actually bought the "Betatester" (Pegasos) machines. This move aided us greatly in bringing the platform and MorphOS a step further in their evolution. Unfortunately, after we released the Pegasos with April1 we discovered another problem which was then fixed with the April2. The Pegasos with April2 was just sold online ( www.pegasos-usa.com ) and through Resellers. Further quantities were also distributed to developers and we exchanged all "Betatester" boards. There are roughly 600 Pegasos Users worldwide now -- on every continent excluding the two poles (we even have a Pegasos owner on the Faro Islands!).

We will be offering a G4 card upgrade in July and the Pegasos II in September. The G3 and G4 cards can be used interchangeably on either the Pegasos I or the Pegasos II. The Pegasos II will use a Marvell northbridge. We have had samples for nearly two months and are experiencing a tremendous level of support and interest from Marvell. We believe the Pegasos II can be a very successful product. We have offered all Pegasos owners either of two upgrade options for 200 Euros: either the G4 card or for the same price a complete system upgrade with trade-in (mainboard and CPU card).

To date all mainboards, cards and patches have been produced at DCE (scroll down on www.dcecom.de/galerie.html ). We have a solid relationship with DCE. They are a healthy, well-managed company.

We have leveraged the once huge Amiga Community to find developers and applications to support MorphOS and the Pegasos. We are building an impressive team and will have a very interesting suite of applications ready to go soon (many working now). We have/will license or develop these applications ourselves for the benefit of our 600 Pegasos users. It is our way of saying thanks for all their support and interest. Of course, it is also our way of making sure we have plenty of things working properly for a broader, more commercially oriented release.

The Amiga Community is a small, active, talented and motivated. If we have success one day it will be because we were able to capture the interest and support of this Community. Our next step is to the broader world of technically suave computer users. We are doing that by hiring or offering incentives to developers from the the different OS communities. This is of course the whole point of our participation in BeGeistert (which incedently has worked very well to spread our news: see www.begroovy.com , www.beforever.com , and www.lebuzz.com ). A further example is our Debian Pegasos development team which has grown to ten members. Also, Samuel Rydh of Mac-on-Linux can be gratefully counted as a friend. Samuel even attended CES with us in Las Vegas ( http://en.genesi-support.com/tiki-index.php?page=CES2003 ). It will be interesting to see where the EULA issues end up on this one day.

We have also formed a relationship with the Phoenix Developer Consortium ( www.phinixi.com ). The relationship is not fully defined, but the spirit is there and we predict through Phoenix we will establish a viable and supportive link to broad independent developer community. We recently offered the G3 Pegasos to Phoenix members for $299. We had more orders than we could fill. We will be offering the Pegasos II at a reduced price to Phoenix members later this year.

As Eugenia has noted, she has a Pegasos now too. We are holding our breath a bit waiting for her verdict....:-) If she gives us a thumbs up, be sure we seek direct contact with anyone interested in working with us toward a successful future. Our email address is bbrv@genesi.lu. Genesi is the name of the holding company in which the Pegasos and MorphOS is all being brought together with a few other technologies and resources. PriceWaterhouseCoopers devised our corporate structure taking into account all the corporate climates in Europe and that is why we are based corporately in Luxemburg with offices in Paris and Frankfurt.

Best regards,
Genesi

osnews.com

Jon
Keskiviikkona, 30. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 19.30:   
Vaikka en kaikkia Buckin juttuja sulatakaan, niin haluan näin yleisesti todeta, että on mies ainakin saanut aikaan vilkasta keskustelua Amiga-foorumeilla.

Mutta miksei Raquel koskaan sano mitään?-)

Thoriel
Keskiviikkona, 30. huhtikuuta, 2003 - klo 20.44:   
Jon: Koska menestyneen miehen takana on vaimo, joka istuu rahojen päällä?-) Ei vaan, onhan tuo ihan hassu "siamilainen" ilmiö sinänsä. Buck yksinään on kyllä usein äänessä, mutta Raquel yksinään - enpä yhtäkkiä muista ensimmäistäkään tapausta... Joko heillä homma toimii kuin tanssi tai sitten jompi kumpi on tossun alla. :)

Anu Seilonen
Lauantaina, 3. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 0.54:   
Koirakeskustelu siirretty Vapaaseen sanaan. -Thoriel

Janne
Lauantaina, 3. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 22.06:   
Hi Mahen, thanks for visiting the offices in Paris last week and thanks for the support here.

Thanks to you too Kronos.

Hi EntilZha, we hope when a few things have changed we can work with you and your brother. It has been a long time since we had our discussions in Cologne in December 2001.

Hi Seehund, maybe we will ask you to do the port! Interested?

Hi Cato.

Hi Hooligan, check your email for DemoScene Draft announcement.

Hi falemagn, it was just an idea.

Hi Alkemyst, try to understand that the competitive advantage we have is three things in ONE package: MorphOS, Pegasos, Applications. The flexiblilty to respond independently and quickly to market opportunity will be our key to success. We have absolutely nothing against OS4. That is the ONLY truly valuable technical asset left in the discussion. Trademarks are another discussion, but we are not really that interested in those either. We hope you will finally understand that.

Best regards,

Raquel and Bill

amiga.org

Janne
Lauantaina, 3. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 22.08:   
If Genesi owned the classis AmigaOS IP?

One possibility might be to turn everything over to the AROS folks (they have stayed motivated and working independently for years!) or another, just release everything to OpenSource.

For the moment that would seem the best course as far as we are concerned, but that is PURE SPECULATION at this point as we do not own the IP.

Sincerely,
Raquel and Bill

Janne
Sunnuntaina, 4. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 16.51:   
Hi, most of these discussions are academic, but as we have mentioned in another thread you can make your own comparison starting...

At Tain l'Hermitage: HERE and here...

At WOASE: HERE and here...

In Aachen: HERE and here...

...and in Sweden (twice) and Italy too.

But, we did not see "them" HERE at CES 2003 in Las Vegas or HERE at CeBIT 2003 in Hannover. We did not even see them HERE in Poland or HERE in Spain or even HERE in Finland !!! Maybe, we will see them HERE this week -- who knows?!

Anyway, we are really happy to be coming to AmiWest. It's a peice of CAKE for us, because we are planning to have FUN! And, by the way, if you don't like that then you can try one of THESE and even better one of THESE !!! But, most of all we hope you come to AmiWest so you can try ONE OF THESE, just like THEY DID !!!

Anyway, we are headed THERE, so come join the TEAM, if you see what we mean and just stop by to say "Hi!" to give it a TRY !!!

Yeehaw! We are headed WEST! AmiWest that is!!! Maybe there you will better understand what we would do...

Signed, the WHOLE GENESI TEAM!!!

Janne
Sunnuntaina, 4. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 16.57:   
Well Cato that is sort of our job...

We posted this quote from Jack Welsh the old CEO of General Electric yesterday. He was speaking about Clausewitz: "Strategy was not a lengthy action plan. It was the evolution of a central idea through continually changing circumstances."

We are just trying to get the central idea across (through continually changing circumstances); that is, there is a future in the Pegasos and MorphOS. We are on the march! (so to speak )

Sincerely,
Raquel and Bill

Hi Ian, before it might have made since. Now it does not. We do not need OS4 or any of the trademarks. We have our own "brand" now. We want to promote this and this is our #1 focus. For your information, the last serious conversation (if you can call it that) we had with Bill McEwen was in June 2001. Bill wanted $20/unit license fee and a $100,000 up front payment, plus a dongle and we had to do all the work! We said forget it and the rest is history. We spoke briefly to Fleecy again face to face in London in April 2002. At this point we understood the effort to combine the efforts was totally futile. We decided to eliminate any cross-pollenation whatsoever. We did.

In the meanwhile, we legally purchased a few hundred copies of OS 3.9 which if we wanted to we could bundle with the Pegasos -- just to put an Amiga label on the package. Alternatively, we could have made a deal with Cloanto...this would have done the job too. In the end, we decided against both approaches.

When OS4 is done we can analyse the situation then, but our inclination is that we do not have the time to do this. Hyperion can do it if they want to. They will need an installed base of users to sell their product. The Pegasos "Community" could be a potential market for them.

For us, OS4 is no different than any flavor of Linux, BeOS or BSD. To tell you the truth, NewOS is the most interesting of all of them. Anyway, we will support Hyperion when they are ready. The people that made what they are using now are part of Genesi, so eventually it would not surprise us if everyone is happy and gets along someday...

As to the other questions...the Q-Box is a long term development (years), but that will not stop someone from partitioning their hard drive and running multiple operating systems. There are options already. Some JIT works now and the Pegasos will do more things as time goes on. Any good OS is "alive." There is never a final product -- just evolution and hopefully improvement.

Hope that answers your question.

Sincerely,

Raquel and Bill

Janne
Sunnuntaina, 4. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 19.31:   
Posted by bbrv (Trusted user) on 04-May-2003 16:28:45
In Reply to Comment 2:

Well, it has been a bit difficult for us as our key planner had a death in his family (his Mom) and the computers we intended to send to Australia are still in Poland (for three weeks stuck in Customs!!!) Nevertheless, the Victoria Pegasos Club is supporting our participation there with four members led by Scott Pringle. Francois Prowse, our first Pegasos User in from New Zealand, will be there Wednesday and Thursday to lend a hand. Francois founded the first Pegasos User Group in New Zealand and Scott the first, the VPC, in Australia. There are eight Pegasos Users in Australia and two in New Zealand (Hey, you have to start somewhere! ;-D ). Genesi's own Sebastien Lokhamkhouak will leave tomorrow from Paris arriving in Sydnet Tuesday to bring extra t-shirts and another Pegasos. Please stop by to try tha Pegasos and say hello!

Best wishes for a successful Show!

Cheers,

Raquel and Bill

Hooligan/DCS
Sunnuntaina, 4. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 22.57:   
Pakko myöntää että Genesi osaa PR:n ja miellyttää asiakkaita. Tänään sain tietää että demoscenelle on varattu 10 kappaletta Pegasos-koneita(emosta näytönohjaimiin!) lainaan. Sen lisäksi järjestetään demokilpailu jonka pääpalkinto on 1000e + voittaja saa pitää koko koneen.

Joanna
Sunnuntaina, 4. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 23.46:   
hooligan: Kas.. Ei niin huono investointi Gensiltä jos minulta kysytään. Hiemanhan se on aika ottanut mutta parempi sentään että järjestyi.

Janne
Maanantaina, 5. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 13.18:   
Posted by bbrv (Trusted user) on 05-May-2003 10:10:07
In Reply to Comment 29:

Hi Sammy, we are completely OK with you posting all this. We just wish we had the time to finish the discussion....;-)

The biggest problem we have here in this community lately is realizing that there is no "OS war." We are not at odds with OS4 and while we have had some frustrating exchanges with Ben Hermans personally, we have nothing against Hyperion or any of the OS4 Development Team. We will be happy to assist them to bring OS4 to the Pegasos in the same way we have AROS, and all the versions of BeOS, BSD, and LinuxPPC that are/have been ported to the Pegasos.

Secondly, today from this point forward --to be completely clear-- we are not interested in any of the Amiga intellectual property, not the OS and not the trademarks with or without a management change.

Finally, we ARE interested in the Community and have done what we felt was right with this being our focus. We have supported developers, users, shows, and demos. We have paid for advertising in magazines and on websites. We even sponsored a kids football team...;-) This past weekend we supported demos in Spain, Poland and the Czech Republic. During the week this week we will be at CeBIT in Australia. Next weekend there are demos in Canada, France, Holland and Germany. All of them will have t-shirts to give away.

If we can have a decent conversation with Sammy that should give others some hope...;-) What is happening now on OSNews is not good for either side of the discussion. Things get blown way out of proportion and facts lose their luster in a swirl of emotion and innuendo. Thanks Sammy for the dialogue.

Sincerely,
Raquel and Bill

Janne
Tiistaina, 6. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 17.01:   
OK Ferrán, we really do not have the time to do this right now, but you do not leave us much choice. We call you Sammy II now...

Buying Amiga Technologies was not the same as buying a few bananas. It was a bit more complicated. Here are some facts:

1. VisCorp prepaid $650,000 in an advance against royalties in January 1996 for the Amiga 3.1 license. We wanted Escom to credit this amount to the purchase price.

2. VisCorp and Escom were partners (Note: Manfred and I sat together at the CBM Bankruptcy hearing in NY in 1995. "We" were buying CBM. When we came to visit Escom, Manfred usually took us in his one of his Ferraris to dinner, meetings, etc. These are details long forgotten). We had already issued the VisCorp share certificate to Escom when the trouble started. They were to own 7% of VisCorp and become the European Distributor. The first purchase agreement between VisCorp and Escom was for $43 MILLION dollars. This agreement was signed and notarized. Everything was done. The AGREEMENT just had to be implemented. Most of the purchase price was to be covered by the value of the stock. The stock was trading actively above $10/share. Hundreds of thousands of shares were traded daily. The balance was to be covered by the sale of the inventory which included more than 50,000 A1200 (which were not selling well, BTW). VisCorp agreed to manage this process and take over the direction of Amiga Technologies.

3. Everything was all set. Then the Escom difficulties started to mount. First, Manfred Schmidt was accused of insider selling knowing that Escom had lost hundreds of millions in the Christmas 1995 season. Second, a group of seven banks that had huge loans to Escom began to put pressure on the Escom Board and forced Manfred out. Helmut Jost, formally CEO of CBM Germany and Escom Board member become the new Escom CEO. Things had to be re-check and verified by the Banks, but things still looked good.

4. Back in Chicago a couple of weeks later, Helmut Jost called us (the same night Germany won a World Cup Football match -- he was very happy). He told us not to come back the following week, Escom's bankruptcy had been determined. YIKES! What would we do??!! We were in trouble because everything we were doing was based on the AmigaOS, Escom and too many other things that now had to be reconciled. We waited anxiously for another couple of weeks (in the meanwhile the Amiga Community was going crazy!!! Some things do not change!)

5. Finally, Helmut said come over (Chicago to Frankfurt) ...at the airport -- on arrival -- we met Helmut and Dr. Hembach the Bankruptcy Trustee in a conference room at the Sheraton. He would honor the deal if we would. We said OK, but without Escom we would not be able to use the stock of VisCorp to make the purchase. We all agreed to think about. We met again the next day after meeting Helmut early to make a plan and spending half of the night on the telephone with the VisCorp Board in NY, Chicago, California, etc.). Helmut agreed to help us sell the inventory and we would drop the price to $30 million. We went to the meeting...now, picture this: Helmut and I (two guys with ego) walk into the conference room after Raquel (ladies first of course). Dr. Hembach liked Raquel and immediately stood up to welcome her. As they greeted each other Raquel told him we could not pay more than $20 million!!! Helmut and I were shocked (that was not the plan!), but even more surprised two seconds later when Hembach said OK and ask Raquel if she wanted coffee!!!

6. Then the work began. Where was everything? There was inventory in the UK, at the forwarder in Rotterdam, in Germany in five places and still millions of dollars of unpaid-for components and A1200s at the Selectron plant in Bordeaux, France (Ferrán, are you starting to understand how complicated this was...;-) ) Finally, Escom had licensed a group in China and there was still some mysterious inventory in the Phillipines that somehow the Chinese were getting without paying for it. To top it all off there was $3 million of Amiga chipset silicon in Philidelphia. Perhaps, one of the funniest moments in this odyessy was meeting former CBM lawyer Ed Goff and rolling one meter by one meter silicon waffers in a shopping cart from his car trunk to his office across Philidelphia city streets in traffic!

7. We started to make the due diligence. The IP had to be verified (there were hundreds of patents/patents pending all over the world), the inventory counted, etc., etc. There were simply too many things to recount here now...(maybe later).

8. In the meanwhile (see amiga-news interview referenced above), we made a deal with Hembach to keep Amiga operational and together (THERE WOULD BE NO AMIGA INC TODAY IF THIS WAS NOT DONE). After a couple of days we moved the meetings to the Kempinski Hotel outside of Frankfurt where we were staying. It took days to put the Agreement together...when it was done (again) it had to be implemented (we will have to write about this another time as we are running out of time now). As a first step we called Petro and he came to the Hotel. We charged 50,000 DM to our room (thanks to the Hotel Manager and Raquel's credit card) and handed Petro the cash. With this money he paid the first salaries of the new company the new Amiga Inc. Petro was happy and the rest is history....BTW, the name of Amiga at the time was Raquel Velasco GmbH!!!!

Anyway have to run for now, but are you starting to understand that off the cuff remarks without all the facts can be a bit shallow and misleading...;-)

More later,
Raquel and Bill

linkki

Joanna
Tiistaina, 6. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 17.18:   
Täytyy sanoa että tuollainen luottokortti kuin Raquelilla on (josta saa 25000 Euroa irti hotellissa) olisi ihan kiva.. :)

Janne
Tiistaina, 6. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 17.31:   
Hi 3seas, you are entitled to your opinion. We do not think you are in a position to make the judgment, because you simply were not involved and you are confusing our Press Releases with the comments/editorial of others. If Escom had not gone into bankruptcy it would have all worked quite well. I said "notarized." Did you read that? Do you know what that means in Germany? We were a public company and so was Escom. We had to announce things precisely, legally.

Re: Gambled?! We were just trying to survive. Without 3.1 we were dead. In fact, from the "trust" point of view I think we were as honest and as diligent as we possibly could have been. We still tried to make the deal happen and we kept Amiga Inc. alive with our own funds and little support from the Chairman who controlled all the finances. We never recovered this money directly. However, we were able to sell a few shares of VisCorp long after we left and this covered the loss.

Re: Ownership. At one point we owned 17% of the Company, but "control" is another thing.

Finally, hasn't the "statue of limitations" worn out yet...? :-)

Sincerely,
R&B

Janne
Tiistaina, 6. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 17.32:   
Well, that was a flurry of activity...;-)

Dave and TIm, we meant nothing bad about the "Sammy II" comment. You might guess it gets a little tedious answering the same questions over and over again... Hey, maybe Sammy #1 is turning over a new leaf! :-)

One observation: being a player on the field is alot different than watching the game from the grandstands.

Re: Pretory. All the public filings will be up to date soon. We are still very busy with the mess there. It is taking some time, but things are slowly coming around. It will all work out. The ex-Pres. is still out and we are still in...;-) Things are getting cleaned up.

Sincerely,
R&B

Janne
Tiistaina, 6. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 17.32:   
...nobody was more disappointed than us.

Anyway, we will be is Spain this month if you still want to talk about it. Just let us know.

Sincerely,
R&B

Janne
Tiistaina, 6. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 17.37:   
...ok, time to throw the lights on.

Genesi through Phoenix will donate $1000 to General AROS Development. We thank "Dammy" for trying to get this organized and Clash for illuminating the issues. We are doing this in the same spirit that we sent the Pegasos to Johan Grip. We hope that through this act we can enhance the stature of Phoenix, further the development of AROS and generally say thanks to people like greenboy, Clash, Dammy and alot of others in AROS who hung on for a long time.

Now, please figure out how to make this work, because we would like to establish a system that can be duplicated to support other third-party developments.

:-D

Have a great day!

Raquel and Bill

linkki

Janne
Keskiviikkona, 7. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 13.52:   
Posted by Sebastien Lokhamkhouak (203.111.1.66) on 07-May-2003 04:47:02
Small report from Cebit...(wednesday)
Everything seems to be ok today. There are lot of people
interested by the Pegasos and there are more "open-minded" amiga users
interested than what I expected which surprised me a lot !

Last scoop : a OS4 betatester just visit our booth and want to buy
one of our Peggie to port his software for MOS !! That's unbelievable
!

Aussies and neo-zelanders are really very great people !

Cheers,

Sebastien

linkki

Janne
Keskiviikkona, 7. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 23.45:   
MorphOS-News.de: The DemoScene@phinixi.com mailing list is open for business / Genesi sponsoring Demo Scene Online Party in Fall 2003.
The Peagsos I is out to about 600 avid users now and things are starting to get whipped up for the introduction of the Pegasos II in September 2003. We have always had respect for true Demo Teams because of the way technical and creative skills are intertwined to produce unique results with a computer. We decided that to truly be a success the Pegasos and MorphOS needed to do their best to support the Scene. The Scene can bring things to the Pegasos that no one else can.

To that end we have decided to lend ten fully configured and loaded Pegasos machines to Demo Teams that have demonstrated past success and a desire to produce a demo with the Pegasos for a Demo Scene online Party to be sponsored by Genesi in the Fall of 2003. The Online DemoScene Gathering will be open for voting by all Pegasos owners only -- one Pegasos, one vote. First prize for the best Demo is 1000 Euros (and keep the Pegasos), second prize 750 Euros (and keep the Pegasos) and third prize 500 Euros (and keep the Pegasos!!!). For all teams that successfully present their demo they can keep their Pegasos ( :-D ). If they agree to produce another demo they will be lent a new G4 card with the same terms (and keep the card if they deliver the demo).

To be selected for the DemoScene special offer each Team must be screened and selected by the Phoenix DemoScene Executive Committee that is being lead by Mikko Virtanen aka Hooligan of Dual Crew-Shining. We will ask "Kiero" of the MadWizards, the winner of the Equinoxe DemoScene Competition and LoRD, of 4Mankind, the first Pegasos contest winner to also be on the committee.

We will develop a special section on the MorphZone to keep track of these special Demo Teams. All necessary documentation and support will be provided to the DemoSceneTeams.

Sincerely,
Raquel and Bill

linkki

Janne
Torstaina, 8. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 0.55:   
Posted by bbrv (Trusted user) on 07-May-2003 20:53:41
In Reply to Comment 88:

Hi Housey, ouch! What happened to you! You are right we are French...

...and German, Australian, Italian, Canadian, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish (keep that group together...;-) ), Russian, Ecuadorian, Japanese, New Zealanders, Austrians, British, Czechs, Hungarians, Luxembourgers, Spaniards, Portuguese, Leichtensteiners, Croatians, Bosnians, Irish, Swiss, Estonian, Danish, Polish, Romanian, Greek, Pakistani and Faro Islanders!!! Americans and Turkish too! :-)

Sorry, if we forgot someone!

We hope we have another (African) country onboard soon!

Forgive us if we missed something!

R&B

http://www.ann.lu/comments2.cgi?view=1052228186&category=news&start=51

Janne
Torstaina, 8. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 14.25:   
Subject : Re: Pegasos review thread volume II (The on topic thread)
Posted : 2003/4/24 0:24
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a few quick notes:

We have spoken to Juergen Haage about a special StormC release for MorphOS, but that is all that has happened so far...just a discussion.

In the meanwhile Felix Schwarz has taken over the management of the PhApp mailing list and is beginning to do an excellent job organizing third party development. The essence of Felix's efforts:

o relations with third party developers
o 3rd party developer support
o primary source of developer information and news
o stimulate the creativity of 3rd party developers by providing means for them to discuss and organize
o help to keep track of the big picture regarding 3rd party developments
o constantly seeking for interesting projects - forward info on those of strategic interest to Genesi

Felix, may also work with Genesi developers so that they *can* take part in discussions as well or use the ideas brought up in the PhApp discussions.

In the meanwhile Genesi will handle:

o core MOS and employed developers
o technical, organizational and communication infrastructure
o contracting (for bundling) of important/essential developments
o the organizational chart

Finally, here is a small status update on the SDK:

GoldED/MorphED: Dietmar has begun full-time work on MorphED last Friday and is still working on it.

Cheers!

Raquel and Bill

Thanks Joanna, we will check it out. Also, thanks for the PM. Things are starting to get normal again for us and we are coming back to focus again on all theings Genesi...

Speaking of New Zealand we had "fman" here in our new Genesi Paris office yesterday. His real name is Francois Prowse and we all thought it was pretty cool he came by ALL THE WAY from New Zealand (Ok, he was on his honeymoon with his new wife from Holland, but still ). Earlier in the week we had Gunne Steen, so we are thinking of getting a map up with Pegasos pins in all the locations the Pegasos can be found in the world. Plus, we are thinking to post a Pegasos visitor list too...

Anyway, have a great day!

Raquel and Bill

linkki

Janne
Torstaina, 8. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 22.13:   
Hi!

We would do a Show in the UK -- no problem. If someone wants to get it organized we will fund it. Also, we are thinking about a Pegasos Show in Orlando in late September.

Sincerely,
R&B

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:

Genesi Sarl, a growing company in the alternative computer market is seeking to hire Paul_Gadd to organize a Pegasos/MorphOS Show at a site and time of his choice in the UK. All expenses will be borne by the undersigned. Emphasis must be given to the Pegasos and MorphOS, but all other interests are welcome, including the Teron/A1, OS4, Catweasel, AROS, LinuxPPC, BeOS, BSD, User Groups, etc., etc., etc.

Sincerely,
Raquel and Bill
Genesi

oui!?

no?!

pourquoi pas?

R&B

October?

We thought you were from ALABAMA?...

(...never hot there!)

R&B

...and what about Paul?!

Joanna
Perjantaina, 16. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 11.01:   
Ok.. Harvinaisempi paikka..Moobunny.. Eli en ole varma onko tämä aito, mutta kuulostaa niin tutulta että olisi kuin Bill Buck:in kirjoittama.

http://www.flyingmice.com/cgi-bin/squidcgi/mbmessage.pl/amiga/85760.shtml

Here is a brief sequence of events:

November 2001 -- We make a deal with bplan and begin to fund them. The G4 card is made and it works, but not as well as the G3. Why?

March 2002 -- We get the first Pegasos. It has problems. We cannot sell them.

June 2002 -- We ship the first Pegasos machines to developers. It still has problems. Everything is delayed.

July/August 2002 -- We purchase 600 Articias (A660BNGP). We start to demo the machine at Shows. We call it a Betatester. We have to start marketing the product. We are months behind schedule.

September 2002 -- bplan finally figures out the specific problems. It was a long frustrating summer for the bplan team. It IS the Articia! We ask Mai to work with us to solve them. They deny there are problems. We retain legal counsel in the Valley who hand carries a letter to Mai that describes all the problems in detail. Mai finally agrees to receive bplan in Fremont. In the meanwhile, we start producing a hundred and fifty machines. We start selling the Betatester Pegasos and provide units to the development team. We needed to do something. We say NOTHING publically about the "bugs" -- we call it a Betatester because we know it has problems.

October/November 2002 -- The three day trip became a ten day trip. Day 3 Mai finally admits there are problems. We work together to solve everything we can. Finally, we are cooperating! :-) Mai drafts a Letter of Intent to become a partner of bplan/Genesi to sell the Pegasos and the eclipsis (handheld Pegasos) and develop a new chip together. They agree to sell 70,000 units (handheld)!!! A Press Release is prepared. Mai and Genesi will be partners. Mai offers to compensate us for all the trouble by giving us at no cost the remaining stock of the Articia A660BNGP (only 408 units in the end). MorphOS works on the Teron. The future looks bright!

November 2002 -- We attend WOA in the UK. Eyetech distributes a flyer that indicates the Articia has "bugs." We are not happy. We have never said anything publically about this. We call Mai. This is NOT good for any of us. Mai says they will fix the problem with Eyetech. Everything goes quiet on the Mai end. We work like crazy to finish the patch. We provide all the technical information to Mai. FACT: Without bplan it was not possible for Mai to fix even what was fixed on the Articia.

December 2002 -- The week before the Pegasos is launched at the Aachen Show our US based Linux partner, TerraSoft (that we have an agreement with to distribute the Pegasos in the USA), announces that they will carry the Teron instead -- in complete collusion with Mai. We were double crossed! We had signed the LOI! We helped Mai and Mai turned around and stabed us in the back. TerraSoft too. Hence, the April announcement. We produce 200 April1 Pegasos boards.

December 2002 -- We find another problem with the Articia (after Aachen). Work on the April 2 begins. Forget the G4, we cannot even get the G3 working right!

January 2003 -- We meet with Mai at CES in Las Vegas. They agree to sell us (not give us anymore) the A660BNGPs. We make five new boards with April 2. Making five April 2 PCBs cost $1800. This should not be our work! This is Mai's responsibility. The Articia does not work as advertised. We argue with Mai. Mai says the new Articia will work. We wait. We make boards to swap-out with Betatesters.

February 2003 -- We pay Mai $17,280.00 for 408 A660BNGPs and 24 A660BNGEs (the new fixed Articia). Mai withholds the shipment eventhough they have the money!

March 2003 -- After two weeks we call IBM. IBM reviews the situation and decides to help us. IBM forces Mai to ship the chips. Mai adds multiple disclaimers to the invoice. We sign and after an exaggerated shipping period we finally receive the chips. We make 400 April2 patches. We make some Pegasos with April2 samples with the inventory we have on hand. They work. We tune the G4 card. Now, it works too. Nevertheless, we still have 600 G3 CPUs we have paid for. We make more G3 cards.

April 2003 -- 400 more Pegasos with April2 are manufactured. We make some samples with the new Articia. The A660BNGE still does not work as claimed. We throw the remaining Mai chips in the trash. Mai screwed everybody. We press ahead with Marvell. The Pegasos II work begins. The Marvell people are extremely supportive. They offer us excellent pricing. We have a new partner. We test the samples. They work!

The G4 card will be available in July. It will work with the April patch.

The Pegasos II will work with either card. It will be available in September.

That is the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God. :-D

Sincerely,

Raquel and Bill

KimmoK
Perjantaina, 16. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 12.21:   
Edelliseen: Rehellisen kuulonen selitys.

Mutta miksi helkutissa A1G4XE ei oireile?

Janne
Perjantaina, 16. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 12.27:   
KimmoK: Mieleeni tulee muutama eri vaihtoehto.

a) Pegasos käyttää jotain Artician määriteltyä ominaisuutta joka ei toimi, jota A1 ei käytä

b) A1 oireilee, mutta sitä ei ole huomattu (huonompi laatuseula)

c) tai se on peitetty softakorjauksella

miksuh
Perjantaina, 16. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 13.29:   
Mielenkiintonen juttu toi MAI->Marvel hommeli. Ei kyllä anna MAI:n toiminnasta kovin hyvää kuvaa...

Joanna
Perjantaina, 16. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 16.07:   
KimmoK. Kuka oikeasti pätevä ja puolueeton sitä on julkisesti testannut? Siis hyvin harva XE:n omistaja on niin osaava että saa kaikki Linuixin säädöt optimaalisesti kohdalleen. Siis saahan vaikkapa PIO-moden levyihin päälle (esim kernelin kääntöaikaisella konffauksella) eikä tottumattomampi osaa sitä sieltä huomata tai poistaa. Kone toimii, mitä nyt tehokkuus on pielessä.. mutta onhan se silti N* nopeampi kuin mikään turbotettu Amiga.

Tunniustan suoraan etten minä ainakaan tiedä mitä on pielessä ja miksi. Mutta tottapuhuen ihmettelisin paljon miksi kaikki tämä April-kortturumba, emolevyjen vaihdot, toimitusviiveet yms.. JOKU syy siihen pitää olla. Samaten ne Syksyiset Aone-hyppylankapatentit, emolevyjen muuutostyöt ja jouluksi luvattujen koneiden tomitusten viipyminen pitkälle kesään.. Siis jotain On oltava vialla kun Eyetech ei ole vieläkään saanut niitä Earlybird-XE:tä kaikille tilanneille.

KimmoK
Perjantaina, 16. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 18.01:   
Ärsyttää muuten hemmetisti se että bbrv:n pitää epäsuoraan mollata kilpailijan tuotetta ilman että esittää todisteita. Mutta kaipa se on taas ihan ok vastinetta "MOS on laiton" herjoille toiselta suunnalta ... mutta silti.

@Joanna
Jos viat ei näy normaalikäytössä tai edes "normaalissa tehokäytössä", ei niitä ole järkeä korjatakaan, ei ainakaan jos tarkoitus on saada toiminnasta jotain voittoakin.

Ja kyllähän XE:tä tällä hetkellä koko ajan toimitetaan. Onhan selvää ettei Eyetech:n kannata ottaa sata-tuhatmäärin emolevyjä varastoon, jos kerkiävät ne testata & postittaa vasta paljon myöhemmin.

miksuh
Perjantaina, 16. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 18.12:   
Musta on kyl todella omituista, että Genesi ei ole antanu mitään tarkkaa julkista tietoa siitä et mitä ja missä tarkalleen on vialla. En siis epäile etteikö Articiassa olis voinu olla jotain bukeja, hyvin useinha jotain menee pielee sitä ei vaan aina huomata.

Mutta miten Genesi on voinu tehdä fiksin jos ne ei pysty sanoo et mikä siinä piirissä on vikana. Panttaavat vaan tietoa. Tuskin se MAI:kaan niitä painostaa oleen hiljaa, kun kerran jatkuvasti muutenki puhutaan et bukeja on. ANN:ssakin sanoin et musta Genesin pitäs julkistaa ne tiedot mitä niillä noista bukeista on, ja siitä miten ne bukit voi todentaa softalla esim.

miksuh
Perjantaina, 16. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 18.16:   
Kimmok: jep. Jos ne viat olis niin kriittisiä kun bbrv jne on sanonu, ni niiden pitäs näkyä AmigaOnellakin normaalissa käytössä. Tietty semmoset viat mitkä ilmenee jossain tietyssä tilanteessa ja harvoin on aik ilkeitä metsästää. Mut ei niiden puheiden perusteelta se oikeen tommoselta harvinaiselta jutulta kuulosta vaan oikeen tosian käyttöä haittaavalta.. Genesisn tyypit sais kyl vähä selittää tosta bukihommast tosiaa et mistä oikee on kyse.

Janne
Perjantaina, 16. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 21.38:   
KimmoK:

"Ärsyttää muuten hemmetisti se että bbrv:n pitää epäsuoraan mollata kilpailijan tuotetta ilman että esittää todisteita."

En nähnyt sinua ärsyyntymässä tosin kun MOSia sanottiin laittomaksi. ;-)

"Mutta miten Genesi on voinu tehdä fiksin jos ne ei pysty sanoo et mikä siinä piirissä on vikana. Panttaavat vaan tietoa."

Jos yllä oleva tarina pitää paikkaansa, en tosiaan moiti heitä lainkaan että pitävät loput tiedot omana tietonaan...

Janne
Perjantaina, 16. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 21.40:   
Tässä vähän Matt Sealeyn kommentteja. Turhan ikävä sävy kirjoittaa, mutta jotain näkökulmaa kai näissäkin:

---

Posted by Neko (193.195.0.102) on 16-May-2003 15:09:43
In Reply to Comment 46:
The Articia S exhibits the remaining bugs on the TeronCX sample boards too.

Don't you think bPlan got sample boards from Mai when they chose that chipset?
When you go and spend 2 weeks at their company and show them these bugs, they
sign documents to accept responsibility and produce fixes, this is quite an
admission of guilt.

Now, forgive me for assuming you're all stupid, but this ISN'T a driver issue
here, it ISN'T something you want to try to work around in software. When
you're skilled in the production and testing of hardware like this, it's very
very easy to track what's going on and point a finger at something.

When you point at the Northbridge, and the Northbridge makers say "sure it's
us, hands up, you got us", it doesn't somehow magically somehow transmogrify
to be some other part of the system.

When you have logic testers hooked up, it's not hard to watch the flow and see
where it jams. It jams at the Articia: it has some serious timing issues.

If you think it's a common Via IDE bug then you'd be wrong. The bugs are easily
reproduced without even touching the IDE bus. High speed DMA data transfers
across the Articia S *fail*. "Uglyfixes" and April boards fix this by adding
an extra bit of logic or throwing in signals from other parts of the
motherboard which serve to alleviate the timing problems.

I'll also forgive you for believing Eyetech rhetoric here: while the Via IDE
bug isn't the cause, it certainly looks like it's part of it. The most common
DMA transaction on a PC is IDE transfers.

It makes sense to try and blame that, and you'd have to set something else
quite rare up to test others properly, but when you do.... it pops up again.
How can it be a Via IDE bug when you don't need Via IDE to trigger it?

There are a myriad other problems there too. All happen on the TeronCX too.
Mai confirmed this. Eyetech can sit back and say "The Articia S is a bugfree
chip", but it's a lie. Mai have told it to them and they can't do much else
than lie with them. Pity. Shame. I wish they could do something about it, but
that's life I guess.

Neko

Posted by Neko (193.195.0.102) on 16-May-2003 15:15:43
In Reply to Comment 103:
Buck did say that the AmigaONE was unfixable.

Not technically, but because Eyetech don't have the means to do it. Soldering
a wire across a couple of pins and adding a resistor is something a 15 year
old can do. It's a hack. An afterthought fix. You see this on Amigas all the
time, plugging PLCC over chips and wiring power to pins on chips to alleive
bugs in the hardware, and shipping a little software to take notice of it.

Fixing it to the degree the April-II did is not impossible, but it is on the
verge of highly impractical. Those two tiny square programmable logic chips
are BRAND NEW ON THE MARKET. They don't even sell them to people unless you
beg and beg and beg, so Genesi got very lucky. They're also very costly.

Reballing BGA chips is an absolute nightmare in terms of time and cost. Fixing
all those Pegasos boards cost more in terms of the April-II boards and refitting Articia S than the boards originally cost themselves. Genesi made a
total loss, and didn't want to make more of a loss.

As it stands, Eyetech neither have the ability to design something as nifty as
the April board, nor do they have the ability to procure the parts for it. And
even if they could, there ain't a chance in f**king hell they could afford it.

This is what Buck meant.

-- Neko

Posted by Neko (193.195.0.102) on 16-May-2003 15:20:31
In Reply to Comment 98:
There was a rumour circulating among the MorphOS camp and being shouted at
the Eyetech/Hyperion camp that the Articia S had bugs in it.

Ben Hermans and Alan Redhouse vehemently denied this, on this very forum. You
can go look yourself.

Then at a show Alan Redhouse starts distribuing a leaflet to showgoers that
explains that the Articia S did have a bug in it. Then he says that the bug
is actually a Via IDE bug after-all and didn't need fixing. Then they say that
the Articia S bug did indeed exist had a fix and they fixed it, and the next
revision of the Articia S didn't have the bug.

Then Buck decides to make a campaign out of it. If they're going to shout about
bugs, let's really rub it in. This coincides with Terrasoft/Mai deal, Buck
wanted to throw a spanner in there: there's no Mai without April.

After a while Terrasoft realised it was true. One day you'll realise it too.
Too late, though.

-- Neko

linkki

KimmoK
Perjantaina, 16. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 23.33:   
Nekosta... kyseessä on tyyppi joka mieluusti kertoilee tarinaa jonka on kuullut isoilta HW pojilta.
Ja kun sotketaan asioita yhteen sopivasti jotta siitä voidaan päätyä sopivaan lopputulokseen... puolitotuuksiin (jotka on ihan yhtä lapsellisia kuin lukemttaomat Ben:n, Alan:n, Ray:n yms. puolitotuudet).

Ja kyllä sen uskon että Genesi "poltti näppinsä" Mai:n & co kanssa. (saiko Alan Mai:n kääntymään pegasos emolevyjä vastaan Teroneiden hyväksi... ehkäpä ...)

Janne:
joo, en ollut puolustamassa MOS:a silloin... sen tiesin että MOS0.4 vaati AmigaOS:n osia ja että suurella varmuudella AOS koodia nähneitä oli projektissa mukana yms... (sitä ei olisi luultavasti koskaan voinut tuoda myyntiin) ... ja taisin jopa uskoa siihen että AInc:llä oli todisteita MOS:a vastaan... todisteita jotka lopulta jäivät julkisuuteen tuomatta... stupid me.

JoannaK
Lauantaina, 17. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 0.03:   
Juun. no neko on neko.. vähän jotain kuin Seehun ja helgis76 tms.. Niitä riittää joka lähtöön.

Hooligan/DCS
Lauantaina, 17. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 16.42:   
Ei nyt ihan BBRV watch, mutta sivusta liippaa:

http://flyingmice.com/cgi-bin/squidcgi/mbmessage.pl/amiga/85812.shtml

Redhouse strikes back :)

Janne
Sunnuntaina, 18. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 20.11:   
linkki

Alkis Tsapanidis

> its kinda funny if BB is such a "good guy" why did he wait till he sold all
> of the Pegasos boards before revealing that they don't work.
> Especially since he made a big deal about how april fixed everything.

Are you stupid or something? Yes, every betatester knew about the bugs before he got
the board...
It wasn't on their site, not to piss off MAI. BetaTesters were notified.
Their boards were EXCHANGED for Apriled boards FOR FREE. Even free postage.
Then. The BetaTester 2 boards were released, without any major KNOWN bugs, but still
suspicious. These boards worked pretty much fine.
Genesi found MORE bugs in the chipset, OTHER than the DMA one, fixed in the latest
Articia. They make the April2 fix, fixing enough bugs for the system to be rock solid
at 100MHz. 133 are DANGEROUS, with ANY ArticiaS revision, Pegasos OR AmigaONE.
They sold out all April2 boards, AFTER exchanging April1 with April 2 and then scrapped
the Pegasos 1 as the April was more expensive than the board itself. Genesi had a HUGE
loss on the Pegasos+A2 boards.

So don't you post bullshit you don't know anything about.

KimmoK
Maanantaina, 19. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 9.05:   
Summa summaarum.

Peg1 on edelleen 100Mhz CPU väylällä toimiva emolevy... ?

Jos ArtisiaS on niin rikki ettei se toimi kunnolla 133Mhz:llä, A1:ssä kait pitäisi "kolista" kaiken aikaa...

Janne
Maanantaina, 19. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 9.19:   
Kimmo: A1 toimii 133 MHz:lla?

Janne
Maanantaina, 19. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 9.20:   
KimmoK: Uudella Pegasos-saitilla CPU-väylän nopeudeksi muuten listataan 100 MHz. Luovuttivat ilmeisesti sen taiston suhteen April2:ssa...

Mielenkiintoinen tuo väite että April2 on kalliimpi kuin itse emolevy. Ainoa julkinen tieto bbrv:ltä tuosta on että ekat 5 samplea maksoi $1800, mutta siitä nyt ei tietysti voi laskeaa 400:n myöhemmin hintaa...

KimmoK
Maanantaina, 19. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 10.25:   
@Janne & 100Mhz

Minun nähdäkseni A1 on aina toiminut ja tullee toimimaan 133Mhz:lla.

Ainoa syy ajaa 100Mhz:llä on ollut sopimattomat muistipiirit tai 750CX:n ylikellotus 700Mhz:n joka vaatii 100Mhz systeemiväylän kellotaajuuskertoimen vuoksi.

Onko kukaan bongannut vielä ohjetta miten A1:ssä saa kaivettua uuden ArtisiaS;n bugit esille?

Janne
Maanantaina, 19. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 15.14:   
Hi Eugenia, we appreciate the review and find your comments on the mark. We even appreciate your advice and agree with it. What we have to do now is make sure that the market perceives us correctly. We have made a big step to do that here: http://www.pegasosppc.com .

We are clearly interested in the involvement of as many alternative operating systems as possible coming to the platform -- have a look at the "Operating System" page. Anyone reading this can email us directly if they have an interest and the qualifications to do so. We often provide a Pegasos upfront at no cost to developers that can help us advance in this regard. If the port/effort is successful the machine is free. We can even fund development if we can be convinced the results are essential to the direction Eugenia has indicated.

Recently, Google released some stats here: http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html . Our market is *exactly* as Eugenia has suggested: "(the) Pegasos is the geek's ultimate platform and geeks like cool stuff." If only 3% of the market is accessing Google with MacOS and 1% some flavor of Linux, the PPC has some room to run and SO DO WE. For now, we are not ready for the mass market. We are looking for people that understand computers and who want to do unique and productive things with them. We are in touch with scientists, hobbyists, developers and users and have a small, but extremely dedicated user base all over the world. We started with the Amiga Community, because it offered applications and a development community we could work with and WORK THEY HAVE! :-D This was the "genesis" of the effort. The future is CLEARLY directed at the growing demand for something new and different. "Value" is the word we intend to emphasize. Here in Europe, Governments are switching to Linux (for example: http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,58764,00.html which lead to this too http://www.nowee.org/pegasos/index.html . Even Linux is not really ready for "Prime Time" (the mass consumer market) so in the meanwhile we have the opportunity to continue to march ahead step by step and do our best to get the smartest computer users in the world working with us.

...and, one more note...the "M" in MorphOS is for mobility! Check out that footprint -- that is "next." ;-)

Sincerely,
Raquel and Bill
bbrv@genesi.lu

http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=3589

Janne
Maanantaina, 19. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 15.32:   
Hi priest, the answer is YES! The G4 card for the Pegasos will be released on 1 July. We have narrowed down the options to a 1GHz or a 1.3GHz G4. We will decide soon. It is mearly a price vs. cost decision. For the moment the bplan team has a few other things to do and needs to get t moved into their new offices. :-)

We communicated poorly concerning the Pegasos I and the G4. What we said is that the Pegasos I would not be sold with the G4 as a PACKAGE. The Pegasos I, HOWEVER, can be upgraded with the G4 card to be released in July. We just will not be selling any more Pegasos I units (G3 or G4). We WILL still have a few for developers, but we will NOT be selling them. The Pegasos II will have two CPU options: G3 or G4.

Hope that makes it clear...:-)

Sincerely,
Raquel and Bill

hi priest, it has not been marketed that way since we knew about the northbridge problems...with Marvell that will be a different story. Look for something on this after the Pegasos II is out. We will also need to start thinking about a 64 bit OS/CPU strategy by the fall too.

Sincerely,
R&B

Hi priest and Ferrán,

Thanks for the positive feedback. priest, we think you are "splitting hairs," but if you are happy then that is great! :-) Ferrán, we have had our exchanges and you of course are right IF it had been possible to do this. We leveraged the Amiga Community to bring the Pegasos to where it is today. The OSNews coverage is titled "Pegasos: A New Interesting & Sexy Platform" -- that is a NICE title! We did this with the support found in the Community and we reached them through ANN, amiga.org, amiga-news, etc. In doing so, we touched a few nerves and this led to the difficulties. Even the two of you published remarks about us personally that were not accurate. Never mind, the truth has a way of working itself out and it will. What is important now is that people understand the direction for the Pegasos now. We tried to cover that in our comments of the OSNews thread.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. We hope both of you will become Pegasos II owners...;-)

Sincerely,
R&B

P.S. Ferrán, we will be in Malaga next week for a couple of days if you are around on the Costa del Sol!

:-)

R&B

linkki#top

Janne
Maanantaina, 19. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 19.41:   
OK, just a quick couple of responses now...more later.

It is true -- /. does have a broader following. For example, the greatest number of hits we have ever experienced on any of our sites was after Slashdot coverage (all three times). OSNews drives less than half the hits, but we do think OSNews has more "thoughtful" readers and it is focused on what it is, OSNews. Slashdot is everywhere. You cannot really channel Slashdot coverage. In this case, we were able to work with OSNews. The idea today is to begin to build up credibility outside the Community. We thought OSNews was the best place to do this for now. Remember, you need hardware to start with, then an OS, and then great applications. In the end, the applications are what drives everyone back to the hardware. There is a delicate juggling act to manage. Of course if someone sends the link to Slashdot we will not complain.... That is how it happened last time.

What we feel some have missed in this process is that in the end the Pegasos supports many operating systems. This associates more developers to the platform and more "brands" at the same time. This gives credibility and creates an environment for innovation and cross-OS pollination. For example, we already have some neat BeOS features being ported to MorphOS. When you have the hardware, OS, and applications conveniently interconnected things can happen faster and more closely coordinated. That is the secret here. In the end, MorphOS benefits because it is the "smallest" common denominator for each Pegasos through Genesi. There is no one else in the market that can do this...

We think the First Computing Revolution of the 21st Century is about to begin. The Pegasos will be what kicks it all off -- freedom, flexibility and value! For more, read the comments on the OSNews thread: Pegasos: A New Interesting & Sexy Platform (cool title!).

BTW, greenboy is right...we hope you did not miss this: "(the) Pegasos is the geek's ultimate platform and geeks like cool stuff."

Ultimate is a very good word....

With the world's OS gurus attracted to the Pegasos, there is a BIG shift for Phoenix, as Phoenix now moves into a much, much broader and ultimate role...

Have a great day!

Raquel and Bill

http://amiga.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2171

Jon
Maanantaina, 19. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 22.11:   
Priest on kyllä metka nick. Etenkin kun monet vastaa: "hipriest" :)

KimmoK
Tiistaina, 20. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 9.40:   
btw. ANN threadin kohdassa
"it has not been marketed that way since we knew about the northbridge problems..."
pääsi pieni nauru.

Mutta ok, jospa se ei olekaan ollut tahallista virheellistä markkinointia, se on vain näyttänyt siltä.

@Jon ;)

Kyseinen nick on ollut siirtymäisillään eläkkeelle jo pitkän aikaa ... mutta ehkäpä sen voi säilyttää jossain muodossa.

Janne
Maanantaina, 26. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 16.03:   
Posted by bbrv (Trusted user) on 26-May-2003 12:12:29
In Reply to Comment 5:

Just a quick comment about the April patches...

When Gerald and Thomas prototyped the first five PCBs it cost us 1800 Euros. The April patches were/are not a "cheap" solution, just a necessary one. It is a bit sad that all concerned could not have been more honest about the whole situation. It has slowed us all down and may in the end completely cripple any efforts that continue to be related.

As for MorphOS, it will continue to be free for now. It is not ready to be sold. One day it will be, but this will be targeted as we have said before for Apple computer owners and will be application driven from a CD like Knoppix. It will have excellent hardware auto-detection and run directly from the CD without hard disk installation. This will be "buried" under what will most likely be a game that further connects to an online "world." Something like what you see in the "new" Myst, Uru. The other market for MorphOS will be the mobile market. If Sony comes to the market with a PS2 handheld, we hope to be there with something more like a computer/communicator at the same time. In the meanwhile, MorphOS will be bundled with the Pegasos that can further support multiple operating systems...see www.pegasosppc.com.

For now, operating systems are the flowers that make up the bouquet in the Pegasos vase...;-)

Back later!

Raquel and Bill

linkki

Hooligan/DCS
Tiistaina, 27. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 19.12:   
ote ann.lu threadin BBRV kommentista:

We will be producing the last batch of the Pegasos Is with the April2 patch next week. Incidentally, we will be prototyping the first 1Ghz+ G4 CPU cards at the same time (we will be producing three different types of G4 cards with speeds from 1 to 1.3 GHz so we can fully analyze the cost vs. performance issues). The entire Pegasos production is already sold (no money collected yet) or going to developers.

Sincerely,
Raquel and Bill

Janne
Keskiviikkona, 28. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 16.06:   
Thank you to CISC for bringing this discussion back on track and highlighting the key points, which to further clarify are as follows:

1. The Pegasos uses OpenFirmware, an industry standard applied by IBM, Sun, Motorola, etc. To be successful in a broader market this is a key feature we have promoted and are finding is essential to broad acceptance. A1 uses something different. When the A1 (remember this is a hardware discussion) can achieve an OpenFirmware standard running MorphOS will be easy. We have tried it. It works as well as the Articia allows it to work.

2. It seems ironic to us after all the fuss Amon_Re made after WOA about MorphOS and the Pegasos last year that he now finds himself on the defensive. :-p Anyway, as we have said before and as it will become progressively evident the Articia still has problems. We purchased 24 A660BNGE Articia S Chipsets in February 2003 and nothing has changed -- the Articia is not reliable. The A660BNGP is what has been used to produce the Pegasos I. To ignore this situation is at best a distortion of reality and in the worst way, dishonest. Whether people have the capacity to accept this is no longer our problem. We did our best to make sure everyone understood the issues, starting with Mai themselves. This is part of the reason we replaced at no cost the Betatesters we sold and why we are offering a couple 200 Euro upgrade options from the Pegasos I to the Pegasos II.

3. We will be producing the last batch of the Pegasos Is with the April2 patch next week. Incidentally, we will be prototyping the first 1Ghz+ G4 CPU cards at the same time (we will be producing three different types of G4 cards with speeds from 1 to 1.3 GHz so we can fully analyze the cost vs. performance issues). The entire Pegasos production is already sold (no money collected yet) or going to developers.

Sincerely,
Raquel and Bill

linkki

Janne
Keskiviikkona, 28. toukokuuta, 2003 - klo 16.16:   
Hi Dave, we are not suggesting that at all. Achieving a "standard" is simply that. When you graduate from one grade in school you pass to the next. Maybe a better analogue is the spoken word itself. This is English. Esto es Espanol. C'est Francais. Dieses ist Deutsch. Simple. Please do not read any hostility into that. MorphOS works with OpenFirmware. That is how we developed it and how it is provided. The firmware is a hardware issue. OK? ;-)

We are willing to support the OS4 effort as we have AROS, LinuxPPC, OpenBeOS, NewOS, etc., etc. The "bouquet in the Pegasos vase"...remember? :-) That is different.

About the Articia, there will not be any public retraction. You are entitled to believe what you want. We have made our position clear. We have been very straight forward about the problems.

What are we doing here? The name of the thread is "MorphOS for AmigaOne?" We agree that it is problematic to get MorphOS running on an A1 as it is currently being sold. Nevertheless, it is possible. That was the question.

DaveP, just in case you missed it we are part of the Community...;-) We have plenty of "boing" and probably will have more in the future. The MOS Community is not separate; it may be a subset, but it hails from and is part of the same Community. We make absolutely no argument against the fact that we have/are leveraging the Amiga Community to advance MorphOS and the Pegasos. There are many people here, including the people that own amiga.org, ANN, and MorphZone that fully support us and agree with our interest and involvement in the Community. Maybe we could just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Have a good day!

:-D

Janne
Tiistaina, 3. kesäkuuta, 2003 - klo 17.54:   
En rupea lainamaan tätä... liian sairasta. :-)

http://www.ann.lu/comments2.cgi?view=1054634902&category=web&start=1&75

Joanna
Keskiviikkona, 4. kesäkuuta, 2003 - klo 1.16:   
Buh. Kaikesta ne ihmiset osaa päreensä polttaa näinäaikoina.

Janne
Keskiviikkona, 4. kesäkuuta, 2003 - klo 16.14:   
bbrv on seonnut täysin ;-)

http://www.ann.lu/comments2.cgi?view=1054686063&category=forum&start=1&194

hooligan/dcs
Keskiviikkona, 4. kesäkuuta, 2003 - klo 20.44:   
BBRV Re: Amiga Trademark

Sure, but why not...

From the USPTO web registration form...

"Success!

We have received your application and assigned serial number 78258XXX to your submission."

DONE!

We will see...

Raquel and Bill

http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=352&forum=3

Joanna
Keskiviikkona, 4. kesäkuuta, 2003 - klo 20.47:   
Ouh. Jos tuosta tulee virallinen niin sitten alkaa homma mennä kipeäksi. :)

Joanna
Keskiviikkona, 4. kesäkuuta, 2003 - klo 22.37:   
Janne: tuossa ann.lu threadissa on jo kaikkiaan liki 240 viestiä.. ja mitä tulee bbrv:hen.. no, jotain on selvästi tekeillä ... Senverran sekavaa tuo teksti on :)

Amigisti
Torstaina, 5. kesäkuuta, 2003 - klo 11.47:   
Olen samaa mieltä tämän kommentin kanssa :)

Ann.lu:sta:
Reflections about Genesi's Atari plans : Comment 55 of 245 Posted by samface
In Reply to Comment 37:

It would definitly please me if you finally decided to get your own brand, especially if you choose Atari which would make it perfectly clear that you are an alternative rather than a successor. WTG, Billy Boy! :-)

Janne
Perjantaina, 6. kesäkuuta, 2003 - klo 11.28:   
Hey SlimJim...that is an avatarasorous right?! We have not seen too many of them lately. Are you are just lurking around here looking for a few cavemen to munch up?! Or have you been on a extended steller exploration mission again? BTW, while you are gazing up into the stars would you keep an eye out for...

Pegsin Space!

errm...this was about cavemen wrong thread Bill...

Actually, it was about OS4 for the Pegasos Raquel!

Oh yes! About that...

Last week/weekend we received a few emails from people that said Fleecy had been mentioning and OS4 Kit for Peg II owners and that Ben had discussed bring OS4 to an OpenFirmware standard. We thought was a great idea, so we started a little discussion about *fire*. Anyway, the flames managed to work themselves in, but they were kept to a minimum, thank goodness. No one got burnt and we all had fun around the fire!

Anyway, DaveP, your little Japanese I -love-you-bunny avatar looks like the perfect meal for SlimJim! Let get that fire buring guys otherwise the OS4 campfire is going to be pretty loney with that old wood the guys chopped up a long time ago.... There just is not enough of it to get a decent meal cooked!!!

Tonight!

Sing around the Campfire!!! Or, also titled:

Can things like Kanzaa become legitimate businesses? Apple's charging too much. Do they want to become an MP3 "label" for start up bands/groups?

We are going to get something going like this with our own POP-IDOL! Details SOON!!!

R&B

Janne
Lauantaina, 7. kesäkuuta, 2003 - klo 15.13:   
Thanks for this discussion. It was interesting and we will read it a second and maybe a third time over the weekend. We can't remember everything to respond to be here are just a tidbits for some Falker...

Take all this in contrast to PegPong...:-) This will be more like one complete PegPowerPost! :-)

Quote from Martin Blom when we ask him how he liked the Pegasos:

Honestly, it's a masterpiece. Very slick hardware, very quite,
OpenFirmware is great and I love the case. :-)

MorphOS boots in seconds, just like AmigaOS does on my A4000. It's
like coming home again! Really, I compared my PC and the Pegasos. By
the time I had selected Windows 2000 from the GRUB menu, Ambient was
already loaded and ready. Simply incredible.

MorphOS has come a long, long way since I saw it last time, but as
expected it still has a long way to go until it's ready. (I've had a
few lockups etc.) I look forward to the upcoming 1.4 release!

Martin is no hack and neither are the guys working on 1.4...

None of us wanted the situation to develop as it did. We could have done alot with 3.1 and proposed to do it in the Fall of 2000. We still have the daily emails with Bill from that time. The situation became intolerable because Amiga Inc. did not understand then or now what THMG described at the beginning of this thread. We wanted to bring the classic OS along! It did not work out. We certainly wasted alot of time trying!

Does this remind you of another period? The ppc.library vs WarpOS "wars" killed a lot of Amiga PPC development because developers didn't know which system to move towards. They were put off by the FUD being spread about competing systems and often they decided to wait for WarpOS to get something better rather than to start working with ppc.library right away. Clearly, we have not wanted this to situation to be repeated. Again, we have the "the Name" conflict (remember, WarpOS was for complicated reasons was labeled with "the Name"). In 2002, we were fighting against a branded "future" product. It is different now for other reasons, but it seemed the same situation was developing again...during the most crucial time, WarpOS wasn't very good, but people did not care, because they "knew" that it "would become better than ppc.library." We can be fairly sure that OS4 will not be "good" (as MorphOS was) from the start - nevertheless as we have seen (and still see), many people will be certain it will "soon" outperform MorphOS...(thanks Johan for the help with that...;-) )

In 2003, things are much, much different for many reasons. You can start by reading again what TMHG wrote and do the analysis of the other "side" yourself.

We *have been* trying to eliminate this bitter conflict between the two "sides." The truth is we have -- it is just that some of you have still not figured that out yet. There is no competition. We are moving up in the BUNDESLEAGUE and they have not even put a team to field together! Genesi operates fully independently from anything done by the other side. We are one Team. The other guys are not. It is just a simple fact that they are not as organized, have conflicting economic objectives and need resources and talent on the hardware side which they clearly do not have. Say whatever you want Amon_Re the Teron is a failure because of the Articia. Too bad for Eyetech. It costs too much and it IS defective. It cannot be sold to anyone other than "fanatics." That is why Terra Soft dropped it. We know it is controversial to say that, but deal with it. It is the truth.

So where do we go from here? We can and will sell to Eyetech (or anyone else) the Pegasos II mainboards. Our recommendation for those interested is to bring OS4 to the market standard. OpenFIrmware so there is interoperability -- not just for the Pegasos, but for many other reasons as Martin indicated above. We are happy to support the OS4 effort by providing a Pegasos II to the OS4 Team. If you read ANN, you know we proposed the same thing a year ago. We do NOT want or need an Amiga license for OS4 on the Pegasos, but that does not precluded anyone one else from doing it. Get your game together guys! :-)

Here is a hint about something else which may help some of you understand the whole Atari thing better -- ready for this? The BeBox will BE back! Guess what will be inside? Understand better now?

Can you guys please figure this all out and put together an Amiga II effort together. Ben, if you were as smart as we thought you were you find some hardware guys to do this for you and build something new yourself on the ruins of Amiga Inc.

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards to all of you for keeping the discussion friendly and thanks to TMHG for getting this all started so well!!! :-D

Raquel and Bill

http://www.ann.lu/comments2.cgi?
show=1054899146&category=rant&number=69#comment

Janne
Torstaina, 12. kesäkuuta, 2003 - klo 20.21:   
Posted by bbrv (Trusted user) on 12-Jun-2003 14:01:58
In Reply to Comment 18:

Hi TMHG! Thanks for trying...;-)

No PegPong today, but here are a few emails between Mai and us some time ago...

-------THE FULL TRUTH WOULD HURT MORE!--------

Date: Wed Nov 13, 2002 02:37:33 Europe/Paris
To: pamh@mai.com
Cc: gc@bplan-gmbh.de, tk@bplan-gmbh.de
Subject: Fwd: Draft of email

Hi Pam,

Just thought we would add the following for discussion...

We feel that this kind of information is damaging to Mai and us (bplan/Thendic):

http://www.the-ctrl-alt-del.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=738

We believe this Press Release could not be more well timed. Please see draft of letter to Jason we prepared for Gerald earlier this week.

As you know may not know, Gerald is attending a Trade Show in Munich this week.

Sincerely,

Raquel and Bill

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu Nov 7, 2002 12:22:22 PM Europe/Paris
To: gc@bplan-gmbh.de, tk@bplan-gmbh.de
Subject: Draft of email

Dear Jason, while we have had some tense moments between ourselves and our shareholders and Mai Logic, we were able to overcome the challenges, develop a patch, sign an LOI, and be in a position today to move ahead in a mutually beneficial and cooperative manner. We bring your attention to two very public statements that are only a small indication of the bad publicity being fomented by certain parties against the Articia chipset which is both detrimental to the future of the chipset, our current products, and the product we intend to collaborate on, the eclipsis.

On this site http://www.eyetech.co.uk/amigaone/oct252002a.php, the following products are promoted with Northbridge "Articia 'S' with fix," the AmigaOneG3-SE, the AmigaOne-XE (G3), and the AmigaOne-XE (G4). Has Mai begun to market a chipset with this name -- "Articia 'S' with fix"

More specifically, this post was made today on a very public thread (key point highlighted):

Exclusive interview with Ben Hermans! : Comment 10 of 92
Posted by fleecy moss (195.92.168.173) on 07-Nov-2002 07:30:09
In Reply to Comment 7:
Hey Bill 8-)

as you well know, all hardware must be certified to run AmigaOS4.0 and an OEM copy must ship with each board/machine. This requires a licence, which is available from us. Giving a pegasos board to Hyperion will not get AmigaOS4.0 on to it. You've now publicly stated that you want to see AmigaOS4.0 on a Pegaasos board and we'd be delighted to see that happen. However, either you or some enterprising OEM will now need to put a specification and process in place and the licence will have to be signed before any work is done. That means meeting agreed levels of quality, sales and support as demanded by the Amiga users, dealers, developers and most important post sale support. With that in mind, do you intend replacing all existing Pegasos boards sold with the Articia chipset bug in then?

I look forwards to hearing from you through the more normal business channels and look forwards to welcoming bPlan hardware to the AmigaOS family.

fleecy moss
cto
amiga inc

We responded as best we could in the following manner (key point highlighted):

Exclusive interview with Ben Hermans! : Comment 16 of 92
Posted by Raquel and Bill (212.198.0.93) on 07-Nov-2002 08:04:48
In Reply to Comment 10:

Wow Fleecy!

We cannot think of anyone better to have the chance to answer in such a public forum. Thank you for posting.

As you well know, we have had this discussion before, but maybe we can try again more constructively this time. We make and distribute the Pegasos. We sell it. Hyperion is developing OS4. We have offered them a board as a healing gesture of cooperation to bring the community a little bit closer together. For the moment it stops there. Would you like to have further discussions? We can as you suggested. In the meanwhile, perhaps, the same Resellers that have been selected to distribute "Amiga" products could handle the standard you have mentioned: "meeting agreed levels of quality, sales and support as demanded by the Amiga users, dealers, developers and most important post sale support." Certainly, for the benefit of the community, you can sort this out with them directly. We should avoid our historical difficulties for the benefit of all.

As for the Articia chipset "bug" -- have you made a public announcement? The facts concerning this matter are most certainly to be made public by Mai Logic as they determine -- not us. We can only say that Gerald Carda and Thomas Knäbel were able to work with Mai directly to solve any challenges that we may have experienced. bplan has an excellent relationship with Mai. Gerald Carda spent ten days at their offices in Fremont, California in October and we are quite satisfied to move ahead with the Articia chipset. Mai has supported us well.

Finally, all Pegasos boards will be sold without defect or replaced without question. Our Betatesters are aware of this and all Betatester II buyers have received the same assurance. We are fully committed to the satisfaction of anyone who purchases a Pegasos. They will be on sale as the First Commercial Release of the Pegasos soon!

Best regards,

Raquel and Bill

--------End of email---------
We must put a stop to this kind of dispargement in the market. For example the AmigaOne was Slashdotted today here: http://www.slashdot.org/. The "bug" is mentioned in the comment thread. This CANNOT be useful to our future and we need to make a public statement about the difficulties we had and the solution we created together, our cooperation for the future and if needed a reconciliation of past events. For example, also public today in the interview (http://www.amigasource.com/) which drew the comments above is this statement from Ben Hermans of Hyperion: "We recently were contracted by Mai Inc. to produce the AmigaOne's/Teron CX/PX firmware." Is this really true?!

Jason, we need to set the record straight and organize our future more clearly. The Articia is being defamed and this does hurt both of us. Please act swiftly.

Sincerely,
GC

----------------END OF GETTING MORE FACTS IN THE PUBLIC---------------

So you see folks, even in early November last year WE were still doing our best to keep things in line, while others were already speaking about the "bugs." We could post everything, but it is not really worth it now.

@TRYING AGAIN FOR TMHG....about the dream part...

Digital technology and high-speed Internet connections are making music and movies available online at a increasingly progressive rate. In spite of the modest success of Listen.com's Rhapsody and Apple Computer's iTunes Music Store, it is very hard to compete with legally questionable file-sharing systems like Kazaa. An age of massive piracy is looming in the Internet's future and in our opinion threatens the continued success of the Internet itself. The Film industry is in line to be "Napsterized." If ways to control piracy of online digital content are not rapidly strengthened it will begin to choke the creative process for all music, film, software, etc. Further, consider the costs of live events and how piracy could destroy the production of these events themselves.

The issue for consumers is the pace at which they will get lower-priced, easier access to buying, not just renting, movies and music albums as an alternative to buying compact discs or DVDs, or access to live events online.

We need a system that satisfies both pressures.

1. The legal and secure distribution of copyrighted material.
2. A convenient, less expensive way to distribute content through the internet.

We are thinking about a Pegasos II Contest in September...

- Must be based on MorphOS
- Must use a Smart Card

Freedom by definition requires respect for others.

Sincerely,

Genesi

http://www.ann.lu/comments2.cgi?view=1055415165&category=forum&start=1&35

Janne
Torstaina, 12. kesäkuuta, 2003 - klo 20.27:   
Samasta ketjusta...

Posted by bbrv (Trusted user) on 12-Jun-2003 15:31:40

...and now for some realism.

Title: Big Marketing Battles Ahead

The Pegasos II will be the ONLY alternate hardware platform of its price and performance on the market. The hard part will not be the whether or not it is a great product...it will be. The challenge will be overcoming the market convention for many things.

Challenge #1 (the old favorite): CPU speed

Comparing the rated speed of two processors in MHz is virtually useless unless the processors are exactly of the same architecture. Even processors within the same family cannot be directly compared (Pentium I vs. II, III vs. IV, G3 vs. G4, etc.). For example, the enhancements made to the Pentium II gave it far better performance characteristics than the Pentium. The difference in MHz alone could not account for the improvement. The increase was due more to a number of architectural changes, including cache sizes and algorithms, pipeline organization, memory access, etc. If you cannot compare the MHz "rating" of CPUs from the same family (hint: Altivec) as it compares to the relative speed of the entire computer, you really cannot compare the clock speeds across two distinct families (IntelWhatever and PPC). The clock speeds of CPUs reminds us of the marketing hype that goes into selling vacuum cleaners or blow dryers -- which machine has more amps? Anyway, back to computers...what "sucks" or "blows" more!? We will need to overcome the primary propaganda PC-oriented marketing obstacle.

Challenge #2

It is NOT about MorphOS or AmigaOS. It is about Microsoft vs. OpenSource. This is about Linux folks. The City of Munich recently decided to move its 14,000 desktops to Linux. SuSE confirmed that this meant it would be using SuSE Linux Desktop. Congratuations to SuSE. They are breaking down the "wall" for us. We have not moved up to bug-on-the-windshield status yet. First, we have to get them to try something new in the Pegasos hardware. THEN, we have to eliminate vendor lock and get people to partition their hard drive with more than a LinuxPPC distro (or they could have a few hard drives), only then might we get the chance to stand in for a few dances.

(Remember, the Trojan Horse...that's the ticket here!)

Challenge #3

Applications! We have to have a lot of them. If you want to create a *Community* you have to be part of it! It won't be just Genesi spending time and money to move things ahead -- and THANKFULLY WE ARE NOT ALONE. Have you noticed there are a few others getting involved...:-) Visit MorphOS-News. Scroll through the last few weeks. Things are moving. Nevertheless, we have MUCH MUCH MORE to do. We REALLY appreciate all the help, but remember the bug analogue...(we have to get those wings moving!)

What can we say when confronted by our GHz-pumping-steroid PC friends...

Spitball #1

Hey Friend, are you homogenized? Got Pegasos? And while you are at it, please ask yourself the *ethical* MicroSoft question. There is NO spyware or Gestapo installation tactics here. We won't ask you endless privacy questions. By the way, have you actually sat down and read a EULA lately? (forget MacOS for now...) Read through the one for XP Home today. It actually prohibits you from connecting to your XP HOME PC via your network for anything other than file or print services. Technically, that seems to mean you cannot install something like Apache and run a small website from your own house. It also probably means you cannot install Oracle on your PC for learning purposes, because then you would be accessing a database service, which the EULA doesn't appear to allow. Is it just a good thing that Microsoft does not yet have the technical means in place to enforce such draconian terms, but it sure does seem like they intend to head down that path...(if we let them...;-) ). In the meanwhile, the Pegasos offers FREEDOM to use the OS and applications you want! See www.pegasosppc.com for details...;-)

Spitball #2

Why Choose A Pegasos? Why The Dell Not!

Get them to ask themselves if they want to support boring clone outfits that benefit from pumping out the cheapest boxes with the least innovation, or if they want to go with a Company that - for all its faults - is ready to innovate like crazy! Dell are parasites making commodity products. They do not advance the state of the art of the industry. They just make it a bit cheaper and you get what you pay for (and pay for, and pay for...).

Spitball #3

What is the lifespan of the product? An Apple investment has a practical lifespan of two-to-four times as long as the PC alternative. Anyone want to address the resiliency of this Community...;-) Then, you can address the CPU card, the upgrade path, scalabilty, the vibrant cool folks in the Community, etc. :-D

The VALUE meter has to pull to the right, even against a lower entry-level cost of a PC-clone.

People are forever waiting for that new, faster CPU to come out. They end up waiting forever when they could get on with it and be using a NEW KIND OF COMPUTER tomorrow (...or at least in September!). What is in front of them then has to be compelling for them to make this decision!!!

We will need alot of help to be successful and appreciate all the effort being made. PegPower!

No time to polish...more later! Thanks TMHG!

:-)

R&B

Posted by bbrv (Trusted user) on 12-Jun-2003 16:38:36
In Reply to Comment 26:

Hi Alfred, check that.

1. We knew about problems, then we knew about bugs. We did not figure out the first bug precisely until September (able to identify and replicate it). Then, we went to Mai. Then, we found another. Then, we developed a solution (April 1). The Aachen Show arrived. Then, we found another and created the April 2. The point is we were accused of creating a bad relationship. Nothing could be further from the truth. We did not speak about the "bugs" first.

2. Please check the dates and re-read the thread and specifically the emails. Thanks, Alfred.

R&B

(ping!)

Posted by bbrv (Trusted user) on 12-Jun-2003 16:43:23
In Reply to Comment 27:

DaveP, you feeling OK? :-D

Thanks for helping us clarify that.

As we said, there are plenty more illuminating emails, but what is the point now...

R&B

osted by bbrv (Trusted user) on 12-Jun-2003 16:47:16
In Reply to Comment 29:

If you really want to follow TMHG's lead follow this thread on OSNews:

The Next Big Thing? Open Peripheral Hardware Connectivity...

It is interesting and in communion with TMHG's inspiration here.

R&B

Janne
Sunnuntaina, 15. kesäkuuta, 2003 - klo 20.57:   
Posted by bbrv (Trusted user) on 15-Jun-2003 15:35:43
In Reply to Comment 35:

Bernie, Olegil,

Step us through this...

1. We could have a fast UAE for MorphOs...not bad.
2. As UAE is GPL all the work Bernie does could go to Hyperion.
3. Hyperion will have a working JIT as the UAE sources would give them this...(will Petunia be ready any time soon? Really?)
4. Hyperion has Mac experience and could generate considerable interest and success by bringing HyperionOS4 to Apple computer owners
5. Ben can stay busy solving all the EULA problems and...

The Amiga Community has a market again.

OK, now can we have some cooperation please!

BTW, our JIT will be ready for the MorphOS 1.4 AmiWest release.

Cheers, keep charging ahead Bernie! You too Olegil!

Raquel and Bill

linkki

KimmoK
Maanantaina, 16. kesäkuuta, 2003 - klo 9.34:   
8P

Janne
Maanantaina, 23. kesäkuuta, 2003 - klo 22.08:   
Amiga.orgista:

Subject : Re: Merci ENCORE!!
Posted : 2003/6/21 7:53
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Trademarks, lawsuits, Bolton, etc.

Not sure any mud will be flying around much longer, as
we will crank up the lawsuit again next week against
Amiga Inc. Of course, Amiga Inc. can install DE on the
Pegasos and then we can just call it a day, but that
is not likely as there does not seem to be anything
left.

We have ask Bolton to coordinate and manage the
port/relationship from our side. He has agreed, so it
looks like if all goes well he will have a job in the
Community again soon.

Sadly, there continues to be alot of FUD floating
around, but all this should be cleared up at AmiWest
when some of the traditional Amiga Community discovers
that they nice folks from Genesi are not the six
headed dragons they are often made out to be.

It is time to shut the book on the past and move
ahead.

Happy days are here again...

Raquel and Bill

Subject : Re: William Hamilton Buck, the saviour?
Posted : 2003/6/16 2:51
...well that is interesting WarPiper. I guess we can
assume you are "regimental" in your kilt after that
image...

About this thread...

1. WHB is the name my parents gave me. "bbrv" is the
user name associated with most of the email addresses
that we have. BB is Bill Buck; Raquel Velasco and I
are partners, in work and life. We are married. She is
the better half and set up the first account.

2. There are not any egomaniacs coming from the Genesi
side of the fence. Contrary, to what one might want to
believe Raquel and I are online here and in other
places to do a job. Of course, we are motivated by a
dream that we have about computers and the Internet,
but that is another story.

3. Our statements publicly about the Amiga Community
have been consistent since we reappeared back here in
December 2000 at the Cologne Show. We respect the
talent here and saw in this Community an opportunity
to build something new. What we saw was that there was
no direction and there was no support to speak off.
The Amiga Community was like a rudderless ship. We saw
an opportunity. Initially, we tried to work with Amiga
Inc., but this unfortunately did not work out. Amiga
Inc. has not even taken care of something so important
as there own trademarks. Sorry to sound harsh, but
that omission is worse than incompetence, it is
lunacy! We may or may not have success with that, but
it was worth a shot (for whatever reason -- for some
people it is important). In life the present and the
future are a better focus than the past. New things
require creation and like a good cook we had to have
some of this and that to get the plat du jour to come
out in a good way. We are still cooking and preparing
our best recipes for the future.... It is a step by
step process. Strategy is about maintaining a
consistent vision in spite of life's obstacles.
Success comes through sharing that vision with others
and getting a large group of like-minded people
cooperating together to achieve an objective. It seems
things are moving the right way...

4. Wayne, if you can change the name of this thread I
would appreciate it. There are many great people
working toward the improvement and success of the
Pegasos and MorphOS. We cannot name everyone, but
people like Gerald, Thomas, Ralph and Frank are the
real engine behind the inspiration here, then there is
Sharwin and Rakesh, The Crossbee guys (Emmanuel and
Bernard in particular), the WebDev Team (Damien, Nate,
Dave), Phoenix (greenboy, Gary, Clash and now Emil),
and, and , and....there is a whole team of Core
Developers for MorphOS (visit #morphos you will find a
bunch of them there 24 hours a day seven days a week
-- Emmanuel, David, Harry, CISC, Jacek, and many
others) and a group of motivated young people working
from the office in Paris (Sebastien, Bertrand,
Nicholas B., another Nicolas S. and Nicolas D.,
Thierry, Mark, William). Plus, there are many others
working as consultants or part time on the project,
like Andre, David, Juergen, Andy, and all the crazy
guys in Poland who have as a group have as much
motivation as anyone! Then, there are all the
motivated users...the Betatester mailing list has
nearly 300 active subscribers (and many other
readers...), guys like Magnetic, Kelly, Stefan and
Bernie, Fabien, Jake, Treveur, Ron, Francisco....the
list goes on and on and we just do not have the time
in the moment to remember everyone (and some people
just want to stay Anonymous! ...but there NOT
cowards!). Know this: if the Pegasos and MorphOS is
successful it will be because it WAS a COMMUNITY
effort.

We will continue to do our best to support the
Community and that means financially through salaries,
license payments, advertising, etc., etc. -- anyway we
can when we feel like it advances the overall effort.

Have to run. Too many things to do today. Please
forgive us if we left off your name...when the Pegasos
II is launched everyone will be mentioned by name! You
can be SURE of that!.

Sincerely,

R&B

Subject : The Pegasos and the Trojan Horse!
Posted : 2003/6/16 17:25

Well, the end of a long day here...

Matt, TMHG, WarPiper, Robert, Joel, Alkis, Wayne...you
guys are real people, with day-to-day lives and
Superman tendencies! Without people like you there
would not be an "AMIGA" today. We hope we end up with
the trademarks, because you deserve them...

More tomorrow!

R&B

We were noticed today by the USPTO.

The file has been accepted!

Crazy!!!

There may be other issues. We will see, but it sure is
strange!

In any case for all you folks that want the Amiga
trademark on a Pegasos, we have hundreds of legally
obtained versions of AmigaOS 3.5 that we will happily
bundle with the Pegasos for this special niche market.
That is just for all of you that really want the boing
ball on your Pegasos!

Have a great day!

R&B

OSNewsistä:

Hi Josh, start here...

http://www.pegasosppc.com

There are many answers to your questions are there.

MorphOS and the Pegasos are all in one project. We
also have a few specific applications and the ability
to prototype and manufacture the Pegasos ourselves.
See pictures here: http://www.dcecom.de/galerie.html
(start with the third picture and scroll down). This
makes us self-reliant and allows us the flexibility to
respond to opportunity quickly.

Right now, as Eugenia has said here on OSNews, we are
focused on being the ultimate "geek" machine. We have
provided a number of Pegasos machines to various
alternative OS developments (details are on
www.pegasosppc.com). This will continue to be our
focus though the end of the year. We have found that
the alternative OS market is an excellent niche for us
that produces surprising and innovative results.

In the beginning, we focused on the Amiga market. Here
we found an enthusiastic and receptive community
spirit, a large amount of application software that
has in many cases maintained its relevance with the
rest of the world, and a pool of talented, motivated
developers. The latter has provided the most solid
assurance. All one needs to do is scroll through the
recent history of http://www.morphos-news.de to see
how active and dedicated these developers are. After
years of disregard, they have responded more than
sufficiently. They were are first customers.

We will begin producing 5000 Pegasos II mainboards in
September. We have replaced the Articia with a Marvell
northbridge and the G4 CPU card will go on sale in
July to our Pegasos I customers. We have the same game
plan as we did a year ago, we just added another zero
and are broadening the circle of interest to LinuxPPC,
OpenBeOS, BSD, etc.

Josh, it is not (yet) your Uncle Dave and 5000 may not
sound like a big number, but watch who buys them and
what they do with them. In the meanwhile, the rest of
the market grows more ripe for change and when we are
ready for Uncle Dave we will have a fairly interesting
alternative for him.

Hope that answer satisfies your curiosity. :-D

Best regards,

http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=3859

Janne
Torstaina, 3. heinäkuuta, 2003 - klo 19.42:   
bbrv (03-Jul-2003, 10:17:49) - [ Answer | Singleview ]

Wow! You last two posters are very "special" people. We have communicated honestly and fairly. The Pegasos II will be delivered in September 2003. We have always communicated what we are doing and how things are coming. There is no reason for you to post here without the courage to identify yourself. Your posts have absolutely no useful value.

When we had trouble with the Betetesters we exchanged them...seen something like that from a Company who does not assume responsibility?

We just did our best to explain the real situation. There is no reason to behave like this.

Sincerely,

Raquel and Bill

Hi Senex, more tomorrow...

Our first discussions with MicroWarehouse were last week. We hope to be meeting with them in the USA later this month.

The G4 reference is to the Pegasos I with April 2.

More tomorrow,

Raquel and Bill :-)

200 Euros is still the price. You just need to trade in the mainboard too.

R&B

Post Title: We ar TRYING to Communicate! :-)

Trade in your Pegasos I mainboard NOW with the G3 CPU card and 200 Euros and receive a Pegasos I (with April 2) and a G4 1GHz CPU card.

Later, you can do the same thing with the Pegasos II.

:-D Is that clear now? :-D

R&B

Dear Mr. Man of 1000 Questions (alias tarbos)! :-)

The offer is good for all ORIGINAL Betatester, April I & April II buyers. The summer promotion buyers CAN exchange "aprilized" boards, but NOT Betatester boards.

We will ONLY make a limited amount of G4 cards now. They will be sold on a first come first serve basis. Priority will also go to core MorphOS developers and partners.

Details will be posted on 15 July at www.pegasosppc.com.

Thanks for your interest and support!

Raquel and Bill

bbrv (03-Jul-2003, 14:28:37) - [ Answer | Singleview ]

We just shipped a Pegasos I with April 2 to CERN a couple of weeks ago...;-)

linkki

Janne
Lauantaina, 12. heinäkuuta, 2003 - klo 15.10:   
Just posted this information on MorphOS-News...

Raquel and I are looking forward to being there along with the entire Genesi-USA team. We will be flying direct from Paris to LA with a connection to Sacramento the same day.

We may be a bit tired, but we will be there! :-D

We will also have an AmiWest ONLY Superbundle First Edition CD-package that we will be giving away to all Pegasos owners that turn out for the Show. Simultaneously, the SuperBundle will be available *at no cost* via FTP for all Pegasos owners, including Phoenix Phreeboard participants, beginning that weekend. We will be announcing our plans for the SuperBundle and the Pegasos II at the Show. Of course, we will have plenty of MorphOS T-Shirts to give away too...;-)

And, one more thing...we will have the 1Ghz G4 Pegasos there. Details on the G4 release will be posted to PegasosPPC on 15 July. MorphOS 1.4 will also be released in conjunction with the Show.

See you there!

Best regards,
Raquel and Bill

You are right!

Our intention is to grow the FTP access like Aminet, having the SuperBundle always there and a mechanism when you login to update automatically.

R&B

Janne
Lauantaina, 12. heinäkuuta, 2003 - klo 16.21:   
Here are a few more details about the SuperBundle:

1. Generally the bundle will be free to all Pegasos users.
2. It will be completly free when downloaded through our FTP server.
3. The FTP server allows us to have something in place for AmiWest. We will offer free "upgrades" later as the bundle gets more fully established and stable.
4. There will be a small fee for production, shipping and handling when copies on CDs are desired.
5. Users gain access by entering their personal details into a special form on the PegasosPPC.com website. These details will be checked by a Genesi and an "access granted"/"access denied" decision made. This new page will be posted before AmiWest.

We will have more details on this soon and expect to add an automatic upgrade feature before the launch of the Pegasos II.

In the long run this feature on PegasosPPC.com will become similar to the AmiNet for Pegasos users. The site will support applications for all the operating systems running on the Pegasos.

We are looking forward to AmiWest!

Cheers!

Raquel and Bill

Joanna
Maanantaina, 14. heinäkuuta, 2003 - klo 0.05:   
Vielä kun tietäisi mitä kaikkea siihen bundleen kuuluu? No, kai tässä vielä muutaman viikon jaksaa odottaa (Amiwest)...

KimmoK
Torstaina, 24. heinäkuuta, 2003 - klo 14.56:   
bbrv @ amiga.org

@all interested

If there is a broad desire to have MorphOS running on the A1 we can organize the production of a free demonstration MorphOS CD.

Please send us an email to bbrv@genesi.lu if you have an interest.

Alternately, the tools could be provided for those that wish to flash back and forth at their own risk. We have had at least two very capable developers suggest they are ready to do this.

Sincerely,
Raquel and Bill

Mun mielestä toi ois mielenkiintoinen juttu, siis kivenpi kait A1:llä ois ajaa MOS:a kuin UAE:tä tai Linuxia.

Janne
Sunnuntaina, 27. heinäkuuta, 2003 - klo 21.39:   
Subject : Answers for AmiWest 2003 are here!
Posted : 2003/7/17 8:19
Hi, there is no reason to wait to answer these questions...

#1: Is there any plan by Plexuscom / Bomy to invest in Genesi?

No, we are not looking for investment from either of these entities in Genesi, nor have we ever asked them to consider such an idea. Our only relationship with Plexuscom was that they produced the sample STB cases we have demonstrated at CeBIT, etc.

#2 from Emeric SH (Hi, Emeric! )

a. About the Box system of MorphOS: Is there a plan as MorphOS evolves to make/use different boxes besides the A/Box and Q/Box one, like running a Linux/Box, QNX/Box, or any other OS in a box, parallel to the other Boxes?

Yes, but this is nothing more than a concept today. The fact that there are now 16 operating systems ported or being ported to the Pegasos today. The choice whether or not there is a X-Box or not ( ), will be something that occurs after all these ports (and others) are completed. Stay updated on the latest details HERE.

b. Is it technically/theoretically possible? Another question: How will the Boxes A/Box and Q/Box work together: will they share the same desktop or it will be something similar to AmigaOS screens, each box with a different set of desktops/screens? Or will A/Box run in a Q/Box window/screen?

Again, this could be one approach, so keep thinking you might be the person who comes up with the right answer!

"Thank you for the answers in advance."

No, thank you Emeric for your support and effort!

We are happy to answer any questions.

http://amiga.org/modules/news/article.php...

Janne
Sunnuntaina, 27. heinäkuuta, 2003 - klo 21.41:   

"Competition is healthy but could Genesi and Amiga Inc.not agree on at least some things and survive side by side. Why do some people think one has to die for the other to succeed?"

Not sure why this should be the case after what has *really* happened during the last two years, but it was not helped by "official" positions like "we are going to shut you down," etc., etc. The next year will have its own surprises. Guess we will all have to wait to see what happens.

Certainly, there have been may exchanges online given the rivalries, but we think it will mellow out with time. The fact is, Pegasos owners are an important target market for OS4. One day these folks will appreciate this. In the meanwhile, Amiga Inc. as as operational entity is non-existent. They are already "dead." What is more important is that "Amiga" is a concept and a community -- frankly, it is www.amiga.org more than anything else at the moment (Congratulations Wayne!). In sum, Amiga Inc. is not a factor in the future of this Community.

Officially, from the Genesi position there is no competition in this regard. We are marching along. We welcome all constructive participation. We still have many challenges to overcome and need all the support we can get!

Sincerely,
Raquel and Bill
Hi Again Robert...

#7 Have you spoke to Carl Sassenrath about porting Rebol to MorphOS?

No, but someone is working on the port... Maybe, we should call him since we will be in Sacramento next weekend.

"Is there going to be a port or new ARexx for MorphOS?"

That we cannot answer yet.

Thank again!!

Your welcome!

R&B

#8 "Is there any plan to go public / IPO / Initial Public Offering?"

Sure, one day when we are more than a venture investment...

"Is there any plan to port business applications to MorphOS (Mozilla, OpenOffice, Opera, Accounting, RDBMS, ERP, CRM, Oracle, SAP, AutoCAD etc)?"

With a scale of 1 to 10...

Mozilla 3 (we would rather a KHTML solution like Atlantis+AWeb)
OpenOffice 10
Opera 1 (they want 100,000 Euros to port it)

In terms of operating systems running on the Pegasos and NOT necessarily MorphOS...

Accounting 8 (LinuxPPC)
RDBMS 10 (already there, LinuxPPC)
ERP 10 (already there in Debian)
CRM 10 (already available in LinuxPPC)
Oracle 1 (please do not tell Larry!)
SAP 5 (if SuSE got in the door, we can too!)
AutoCAD 10 (already there for LinuxPPC)

"Thank you."

Your welcome!

R&B

Janne
Perjantaina, 15. elokuuta, 2003 - klo 0.49:   
bbrv:n suunnitelmia...

http://amiga.org/...php?storyid=2561