Selvitys tulevista AmigaOS ja AmigaDE...

Saku-foorumi » Uusi sukupolvi: AmigaOS 4 » Yleinen keskustelu » Viestit 2001 » Selvitys tulevista AmigaOS ja AmigaDE "tuotteista" « Edellinen Seuraava »

Kirjoittaja Viesti

Kimmo Kannala
Tiistaina, 5. kesäkuuta, 2001 - klo 18.55:   
****** RAUTALANKAA OSA1 ******
Now, I'm not involved with Amiga Inc. in any way, but I think I could've read 80-90% of what Gary and the other Amiga staff has written on the web, mailinglists and in forums.
Some plain facts:
a) AmigaOS 4.0 4.2 4.5 will be PPC only.
b) AmigaDE which is based on Tao's Elate and Intent is 100% platform independent.
c) AmigaDE/Intent requires harware specific drivers.
d) AmigaOS 5.0 will merge a) and b)

The conclusions I've drawn from all those anouncements, tech reports and hints are:
1) As a) and b) will merge and become a uniform OS, there's no point in making AmigaDE platform dependent it have to be the other way around (Making AmigaOS platform independent).
2) AmigaOS 5.0 will provide AmigaDE with memory protection, hardware drivers and the rest that's missing in AmigaDE. You could either see AmigaOS5.0 and a very thin host for AmigaDE or as running native as this is as close a platform independent OS will be to "native". I'd prefer to see it as having a host, as you wont need those drivers when running hosted on linux or win, but some people believe that if you don't call it native it will be slower
3) One might envision the AmigaSDK -> AmigaOS 4.0 -> AmigaOS 5.0 transformation as a monitor showing a desktop with a few apps (windows) on. Everything outside the visible are is the hardware and platform independent stuff, the rest explained below.

[SDK] The desktop belongs to another OS, and there's a second desktop in the SDK window where all AmigaDE apps are.

[OS4] The desktop belongs to AmigaOS 4.x and there are a few apps using PPC, some the attached A1200 mobo and some running AmigaDE. As the version count increases more and more apps are using AmigaDE and the Classic apps are emulated by the PPC.

[OS5] The desktop belongs to AmigaDE. CA apps are emulated by the DE. But now all in a sudden you can exchange the monitor without the desktop even noticing. You could for example use a TV, PDA or cellphone instead! You will probably be able to use your old OS4 apps, but only with one of your monitors.

(Sorry for the bad metaphor, but I couldn't think of any better.. Maybe I'll draw some illustratios to make my* ideas more clear some day. *This is ofcourse not Amiga's vision, merely my interpretations and imaginations)

4) AmigaOS 5 will kick ass ;P

Cheers all!
alt3reg0

****** RAUTALANKAA OSA2 ******
>AMIGA DE vs Intet etc.

Hi
The official statement from TAO SYSTEM:

AMIGA DE run on top of INTENT. INTENT run on top of ELATE.

INTENT can run on top of several other OS beside ELATE (after porting INTENT to each OS).

ELATE can run on top of several hardware platform (after porting ELATE to each platform).

There is a guarantee that any version of ELATE can run INTENT.

AMIGA DE is running on top of INTENT,
therefore every hardware platform or OS that can run either INTENT or ELATE, will be able to run AMIGA DE.

Regards
asian

***** Amiga Inc kiitää "rautalangan" vääntäjää ja vahvistaa tiedon *****
Thanks for all the help! Some of you guys really do get it and we appreciate that the message is getting out.

You will not be disappointed!

Sincerely,

***** lähde: http://www.amigadev.net/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=63&forum=8&21 *****

Lisää viestisi tähän
Viestisi:
Käyttäjätunnus: Postitus informaatiota:
Tämä on yksityinen keskustelupalsta. Vain rekisteröidyt käyttäjät ja moderaattorit voivat postittaa tänne.
Salasana:
valinnat: Aktivoi URL:t automaattisesti tässä viestissä
Toimenpide: